Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pressure light keeps going on and off every 5 mins or so on acceleration HELP!!!

eaquino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hey guys,

The vehicle is a 1998 vt Berlina V6 Auto

My main problem is that i have an oil pressure warning light that goes on for a second and then off again every 5 to 15 mins while driving. It happens usually on acceleration but not on every hit of the pedal.

BTW on idle it never goes on.

it all started one day when my radiator hoses blew and after replacing the hoses it began to have the warning light problem.

i've replaced the oil pressure sender and had it checked by my personal mechanic with an analogue gauge revving high, on idle etc etc and he can't see the problem. (It always has good pressure). he also checked and cleared the ecu codes and said he didn't see anything wrong with them at all.

I then took it to holden in chullora where the head mechanic said he couldn't find out what the problem was but suggested that i replace the motor and that would take care of the problem as he suspects the oil pump to be malfunctioning.

Now normally i would believe that, but i have owned this car for almost 10 years, i have serviced it religiously and it never had a real problem until now.

Maybe someone here with more experience will be able to help me, but the way it is now i'm really stumped.

Got any suggestions?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Partially blocked oil pick-up in the sump?

eaquino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
yeah, got that checked out too recently.

Removed the pick up and cleaned it in diesel. Clean as a whistle. Did nothing.

I was thinking it was more something electrical.

Jackmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Oil Pressure Light Flashing

I changed my radiator a week ago. The next day I had a car to go to work. But just before I got home the oil pressure light kept flashing. No car for the rest of the week. But today my friend came to my rescue as we both thought it had to do with the transmission oil loss I had while changing the radiator, from the cooling oil pipes. We thought we needed to bleed the transmission system.
He found an electronic cable from the oil pump that was touching with the body which got heated and electric wire was showing. He put a tape around the cable and the problem was solved. Apparently when oil isn't pumped the negative and positive clashes sending signal to your dashboard with oil pressure warning. In this case the exposed wire touching the body did the same job and so the pressure oil light was flashing. A simple thing could have cost me heaps at mechanics.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
I would say oil pick up.