Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Pressure Light On

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
well ive had this problem for the last couple of weeks with the oil pressure light coming on,luckily every time its happened 2 times i have been in my street.first time it happened i put an oil pressure gauge on it and it read 50 psi took the gauge off ,started up the motor light was off,thought it might be oil pressure switch,a couple of days later it happened again after just driving into my driveway,i turned the motor off and came outside again about 30 mins later ,this time light was still on,,pressure gauge showed no oil pressure this time.so i took out the oil pressure relief valve and pulled it apart polished the inside up ,,,it had a slight mark on the bore not the piston ,,put it back together and it worked,50 psi,2 days later just got to the end of my street on again with the light turned around took the ford fairlane to where i was going,,yes FORD i dont have a problem driving a ford. anyway came home and tested again ,,no oil pressure,this time i put in a new oil pump 2 days have gone by and no problems yet ,have done 280 klm,s since installed pump.ill keep you posted on this but i am sure that the problem is now fixed
cheers fergi

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I had this problem with my v6 and I pinned it down finally to a big piece of sealer from a job on the car before I owned it that had been squashed and dropped into the sump and wrapped itself around the oil pickup screen.
I'm told the v8 engine has a cover around it's screen and the chances of this happening to it is greater especially after a few repair jobs where bits of old gasket and muck have gathered for a few years.

Mark

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
yes markovr ive heard this before,i dont think this will be the case here though ,the car has only 120,000 on it and has all the original gaskets ,though since putting new oil pump on i have noticed that on cold start up the oil light stays on for a good 5 to 6 seconds,when i restart after running it for a few ks it goes off almost straight away,it seems to have a bit of bleed back overnite,still not concerned at this will look at it in a few days to see what is causing it
cheers fergi

S

shane0o7

i am thinking that the oil might be the wrong grade i.e too thick when cold, when it gets hot it thins down a bit just a thought!

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
thanks guys for the feedback,i dont think its the oil it never did it before on same oil,i am going to pull off the oil pump again and just check the pressure relief valve ,ill let you know when i sort it out
cheers
fergi

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
well further to my last post on my oil prob that i thought i had cured with a new oil pump ,,well i havent cured it,oil light came on again after a few days and stayed on.sick of messing around with it so dropped the sump,,,now this is not as easy as i thought it would be,cross member,starter motor,steering rack etc,any way eventually got sump off and yes the oil pick up was full of crap,bloody crapy design by gmh on this pick up the way it is set up its asking for trouble to get blocked,anyway i reckon it was 80 percent blocked ,cleaned it out etc and put it all back together,i reckon about 6 hours but that was stopping to have luch/beer/talk /phone calls etc ,but still not as easy as the older cars,i must thank the article by graham H in commodore faults section i did it a bit different but basically the same idea his article made it easier by knowing what to expect,anyway as i said in my last post i think its fixed the problem
cheers fergi

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
It is a bit of a **** of a job, but lucky you got to it and fixed it or else you woulda have to have done hell of a lot more.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
well i think the oil light problem is fixed,had to go to balakava today from hamley bridge ,its about 70 k,s round trip. oil light goes off as soon as the motor is started and no problems
cheers fergi

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
onother update on oil prob,went to port vincent yesterday,,,sunday,,,about 200 k,s round trip ,motor went beutiful no oil light dramas,problem fixed
cheers fergi