Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pressure sensor bolt snapped in half, can I just plug the hole?

Austinthemaster21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive
So my oil pressure sensor was bad, OBD2 diagnosed and the check oil light. Was in the middle of replacing it and the bolt wouldn’t come out. Used a breaker bar and it snapped in half leaving the bolt stuck inside the hole without a way to unscrew it. There’s the little oil hole thingy in the middle of the bolt so obviously I can’t run the engine or oil will go everywhere. I don’t have the time to replace the whole housing and not the money to pay someone else either. Can I just plug the hole with some special sealant or something else? Will the engine run fine without the oil pressure sensor? I know of a mate who’s engine still started with the sensor out but will I be causing any damage?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-080203_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210715-080203_Photos.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 112

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
V6 or V8?
Did it break flush with the block (oil filter housing V6) or just below it?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your car needs that sensor.
You can get a bolt removal tool kit to recover the sensor remains.

If it’s below the mating surface, scratch out the thread with a fine pick. That might even be enough to loosen the remains and have it unwind.

Austinthemaster21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive

If it’s below the mating surface, scratch out the thread with a fine pick. That might even be enough to loosen the remains and have it unwind.

Austinthemaster21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive

I did buy a screw extractor set and it didn’t do anything. If the engine still runs and I can plug the hole and keep an eye on the oil level why can’t I drive without it?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Getting back to my question:
Is it a V6 or V8?

My other question:
Is it snapped off flush or below the mating surface?

Sounds like you are looking for the answer you want to hear. Not need to hear. You seem confident that you’ve fixed it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did buy a screw extractor set and it didn’t do anything. If the engine still runs and I can plug the hole and keep an eye on the oil level why can’t I drive without it?
The sensor doesn’t tell the engine management system oil level data. It tells the ECM oil pressure data.
If there is an issue with oil pressure data, a code is logged. the cars engine management system will adjust the cars performance to protect the engine.
If you have oil pressure problems, the code will be set. Ideally oil pressure should be verified first with an external gauge. The code doesn’t tell you what’s broken. It tells you what data is concerning to the ECM. If you continue driving with a genuine oil pressure issue, you’ll be up for more than professional extraction of a broken sensor.

Austinthemaster21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive
The sensor doesn’t tell the engine management system oil level data. It tells the ECM oil pressure data.
If there is an issue with oil pressure data, a code is logged. the cars engine management system will adjust the cars performance to protect the engine.
If you have oil pressure problems, the code will be set. Ideally oil pressure should be verified first with an external gauge. The code doesn’t tell you what’s broken. It tells you what data is concerning to the ECM. If you continue driving with a genuine oil pressure issue, you’ll be up for more than professional extraction of a broken sensor.
Well what are the ways to test for oil pressure? I should also mention that the car runs smooth as and doesn't make any grinding sounds.

Austinthemaster21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Executive
Getting back to my question:
Is it a V6 or V8?

My other question:
Is it snapped off flush or below the mating surface?

Sounds like you are looking for the answer you want to hear. Not need to hear. You seem confident that you’ve fixed it.
V6, I just wanted to know If I can drive with that plugged