Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pump goner or blocked lifter?

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hi lads,

I finally got around to replacing the lifters, bolting the heads back on etc.

I still get quite a loud tapping (see video I had it running for 10mins thinking it might go away). I think it's louder than before but same sorta sound.
Noted:
-Oil pressure stayed at 30psi on idle even when increasing rpm to 2000 - does this sound like a faulty oil pump relief valve?
-I pulled the rocker covers and found one rocker arm appeared to have no oil on it where every other one did. pushrod isn't blocked.

Does it look to you that there is not much oil flowing up into the heads? I noticed there are bigger pools of oil closer to the back of the engine. Should the oil be evenly spread? Although, even the rocker arms further away from the back of the engine got oil where cylinder 1 exhaust rocker got none.

**I'm aware there is water in the oil- pretty sure I got some down the dipstick hole when flushing the cooling system
*Black stuff is assembly lube
thanks

Attachments

• 1,3,5.jpg
    1,3,5.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 2,4,6,8.jpg
    2,4,6,8.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 5,7.jpg
    5,7.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 183

rickybobby

shake 'n' bake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 T5, VR V8 T5, VS L67 statto, VY V6
two cents
don't write off the oil pump just yet
pressure is ok and not dropping and at least you're getting some oil to majority of the top end
perhaps focus on sorting the "cylinder 1 exhaust rocker got none" oil issue - lifter ?

try to crank it without firing until you get some pressure and all rockers get some oil
oil pressure maybe a little low but won't necessarily increase that much 2000rpm free revving
bigger pool at the back wouldn't worry too much yet
audio sounds like lifters

resolving the missing single rocker oil might improve or sort the other issues

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Thanks for your input. I'm thinking that a lifter is blocked. Trying to avoid pulling the head again so if anyone has some suggestions it's always appreciated! It appears when I tighten the rocker back up it compresses the valve spring a bit even on base circle. Preload on all other lifters had same amount as this one. And valve still seats (checked installed height) so I haven't bent a valve. Blocked lifter plunger is what I'm thinking. All the other lifters are spongy after a few turns of the cam

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Had similar symptoms on a mates 304 when we had a stuck lifter on break in, was also restricting oil to the others.

I'd bet it's a lifter issue.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Good news,

It was a blocked lifter that I was luckily able to free up by shooting some brake clean down the pushrod hole and then using the pushrod and bit of wood to free up the plunger.

Dropped the milky oil (woops)

fired up with fresh oil and she's purring.

Hopefully I haven't done any damage to the cam bearings! I ran it for 10 odd mins some at 2k rpm with milky oil.

Seems to be going strong now! So happy to be driving it again