Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pump or lifters

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
When I bought my car (vx ss) around 9 months ago I was driving back home with her down the freeway. Hit 100kmh and cruise control. About 10 minutes down the freeway it started rattling pretty bad like a rocker was just floating I guess.
Anyway stopped the car and inspected it as best I could. Nothing. Start the car up and the mad rattling went away. Drove it another 40km home no dramas.

So I've been zipping around locally for the past 9 months and everything has been good but I hit the freeway last week..got into cruise control and went on my way. I went to exit the freeway, turned the music down and there it was rattling away like crazy again. I got off the freeway and stopped into supercheap just around the corner (where I was going anyway)
Went to the shop, came out started the car and no rattle and it didn't rattle on the way home.

Could this be the oil pump losing pressure when the car is coasting or a random lifter issue? Both times have happened when at a set speed on the freeway...never while I'm zipping around locally. I might also add that the car does rattle on startup for maybe 2 seconds but goes away quickly.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Could be a sticky lifter but could it possibly be timing chain tensioner getting close to its limit? I've actually got no idea but had a similar problem on a VT but parted out the car before I ever tracked it down.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It could be lots of things. if it were my car, as a starting point, I’d be popping the rocker covers off and having a look to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
My mates ls1 did the same thing one lifter would collapse and get stuck down and start rattling then come unstuck and sound perfectly normal again .