Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pump repair kit to fit double row timming chain

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Hi all
I really need some help, here is the problem.
I have just bought all new parts to put in my vr v6 motor for m rebuild.
I am having problems with the oil pump kit. The new pump gear that runs the pump won't fit over the new rollmaster double row chain timming gear but fits over the old single row setup.
Do you need to buy a pump kit that suits the double row chain or should the replacment pump kit just fit.
I am fed up with being f***ed around by supplers and mechanic alike.
As you may understand, I am getting very shitty and frustrated as my car has been off the road for 10 weeks and my motor in my mechanics shop for 8 weeks. I would really like a strait answer to fix this if anybody can help!

cheers Josh

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if the lower cog for the old timing chain fits on the new pump drive then it suggests that the pump is correct and the new timing set is at fault

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Immortality thanks mate
Do you or anybody else know if there is a differents in the kits for the different chains though. I think I might have been supplied a pump kit for the standard chain not the double row set up. The rollmaster double is for a vr v6 so it's the proper one, and the oil pump kit standard replacement for the old oil pump.
Just for reference the oil pump kit and chain are

Holden 3.8L V6 VN11-VR Nason/Melling oil pump repair kit
Holden 3.8L V6 VR-VT Rollmaster double row timing set 9KW

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i just put a double row JP set on my VN and it went straight on with no isssues fitting the timing cover/oil pump on. you could have been supplied the wrong pump kit, not sure. however the fact that it fits the old oil pump makes me think the pump kit is correct and the timing chain is wrong. the original pump and single row chains arethe correct fit so any part that matches those are definitly the correct parts. i also believe that from VN - VR and ecotec use the same oil pump so i don't think thats your problem as they would all fit

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Immortality
Thanks mate it is the wrong timing chain gear set after all. I am now trying to get the supplier to give me a refund on the timing kit, but he seems to think that it's my fault that he suppied me with the wrong chain kit. Apparently their is a difference in the gears from a certain vin number in the vr commodores onwards. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that someone that builds performance motors every day should know to ask or know just by year what kit I should use.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
hehe i hit the same problem once the oil pump is different from between sum of the v6s if your having problems and i have the right pump piece here we can do a swap

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Thanks Zuicider
But my mechanic has bought a single row rollmaster set that will fit today.
I am just so pissed off about the whole thing and at my wits end.

hehe i hit the same problem once the oil pump is
different from between sum of the v6s if your having problems and i have the right pump piece here we can do a swap

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
atleast you got it sorted. when they sell you the parts it would have bought 2 part numbers up on the screen so they should have enquired which one you required. some parts guys are just crap. fact of life unfortunatly.

my parts guy is good, thats why i keep going back to the same place, and if he's not 100% he always asures me i can come back and exhange no problems. hell, he even sends me to othe suppliers if he knows i can get it cheaper there:D