Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Question from USA

TxNessie84

Flight to Australia?
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
First let me say thanks for an amazing car. If only Holden was in charge of all of GM they wouldn't be in their current troubles and hopefully we can continue to get the Commodore here in spite of the upcoming demise of Pontiac.

Here is a pic of mine:
txnessie84-albums-2009-pontiac-g8-gt-picture25155-a.jpg

Finally my question, there is a debate over what kind of oil is best in our cars on one of the Pontiac G8 forums, some people are claiming that the 5W-30 oil that is the spec for our 6.0L L76 V8 with Active Fuel Management is simply to meet our mileage requirements imposed by the EPA here and that everywhere else the Commodore is sold the oil spec is different for maximum performance and engine protection. What is the real answer? Thanks.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
where i work(holden dealer) we use 10w/30 n have had no issues with it in any cars yet

Nick

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i leave it to the service guys to put the right oil in.... personally, i would use the 40w oil in mine, but only because it gets rather hot here.

On another note....... i didn't much like the front on the G8 at first, but the more i look at them, the more i like them :thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
That is for the 6.0L with the Active Fuel Management?

5w-30 sounds good for it, yes you can run a slightly higher grade oil, but, 5w-30 is the recommended

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
Another thing to look at is the grade of the oil. The logbook says GF3 rating is required.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
dont forgot that the climate can also make a difference on what kind of oil you need.