Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil recommendation for a '92 VP with high k's?

Loungefly

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just recently acquired a '92 VP and I'll be changing the oil in the next couple of days but I was hoping to get a recommendation on what viscosity etc.

It has close to 279,000 k's on it. This is my first Holden so I thought I might pick your brains to get an idea of what's best suited for it.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks :)

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Commodore Executive....and a London bus
Loungefly said:
Hey all,

I've just recently acquired a '92 VP and I'll be changing the oil in the next couple of days but I was hoping to get a recommendation on what viscosity etc.

It has close to 279,000 k's on it. This is my first Holden so I thought I might pick your brains to get an idea of what's best suited for it.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks :)

I put 20/50 in my VN. Quietened down motor a fair bit 15/40 is recommended for the VN (probably VP too) But I reckon is a bit thin at that milage. I think it all depends on what kind of driving you do too, point A to B, leadfoot, racing ect. I myself find a well known brand mineral oil like Castrol or Shell Helix is OK. But if you really punish yours, you might want to go for some kind of semi-synthetic like Penrite or Mobil whatever.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Penrite Oil Hpr 15 For V6 Commodore Vp

I recommend PENRITE ..... HPR 15 ...

Semi-synthetic engine oil formulated primarily for use in modern engines that require SAE 15W-40 or 15W-50 grades such as pre 1997 Australian family cars.

Available in : 1 LT, 5 LT, 20 LT, 60 LT, 205 LT,

Runs like a dream, for high km car this is fine runs in my VN SS with 195,000 on the clock and id never turn back for a product that performs really well,cheap and independent Australian owned + made Company, why else woudn't you choose PENRITE? :w00t:

Here is a link + info for the oil to suit VP /VR 3.8L V8 using HPR 15:
http://www.penritedata.com/au/db/ve...DEN&category=pvehiclespost80&id=279&x=215&y=7

INFORMATION: www.penrite.com.au :bow: