Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil sludge

94SVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S
Hey everyone,

Just recently i replaced the intake manifold gasket on my VR commodore V6, and realised the rubber gaskets had split due to me overtightening them or fitting them improperly, so once again i pulled off the intake manifold only to find a build up of oil sludge that wasnt there last time, so i cleaned it all out and properly re-fitted the gaskets and manifold, flushed the engine, new oil and filter in the car, im hoping the sludge build up was from the leaking manifold gasket, and the rocker covers also have sludge on the inside, could there be any other reasons for the fast build up of sludge?

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm only guessing but I'd imagine that sludge would form/condense more quickly during the cooler months. Also, the inlet manifold is made of aluminium alloy and is fairly cool due to the air passing thru it making it ideal for sludge formation.
The rocker covers are plastic or non-metal and do not encourage sludge formation due to their low heat conductivity - they heat up quickly and this discourages the formation of sludge. Sound good?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
not entirely sure...

but use a high detergent oil as sludge is one of your worst enemies

94SVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S
Thanks for the help

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
simple but won't hurt to ask....
this sludge...it's not "milky" is it?

94SVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S
the sludge was a creamy whiteish colour, ive checked the oil several times and it hasnt affected the colour or how the oil feels

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Well, sounds like you've got water in the oil..

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
BINGO
clean out as much as possible ASAP before your motor starts to rust internally

94SVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S
what would be the best way to clean it out

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
sounds like some water got into the oil throught the bad gasket, get some engine flush and follow the instructions but generally it goes something like,

with the engine up to running temp add the flush and leave it idling for 10 mins, stop and drain immediatly and complete oil change + new filter.(do not drive whilst engine flush is in the engine)

check the oil daily for a week and if you see any milky stuff complete above again.

if you continue to get the milky oil you still have a problem somewhere!!!:bang: