Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil smell after oil change

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Every time I get/do an oil change I get an oil smell when coming to a stop, both through the aircon vents and with the window open. Can also smell it through the gap between the bonnet and front mudguard when I've come to a stop. However, you open the bonnet and you can't smell it.

It seems to last for 200 or so kilometres and then it's gone until the next oil change. Each time there's no indication of any leaks or spills.

First few oil changes were done by my local dealer, and this has been happening from the very first service, however I put it down to being sloppy when filling or cleaning up after draining the oil. But it's exactly the same when i do it and being pedantic about leaks or drips.

It's not a burnt oil smell - just smells of engine oil.

Anyone had this issue and know what it is? I've done a Google and there was a thread on this same issue on a US forum, but haven't seen any other mention of it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Every time I get/do an oil change I get an oil smell when coming to a stop, both through the aircon vents and with the window open. Can also smell it through the gap between the bonnet and front mudguard when I've come to a stop. However, you open the bonnet and you can't smell it.

It seems to last for 200 or so kilometres and then it's gone until the next oil change. Each time there's no indication of any leaks or spills.

First few oil changes were done by my local dealer, and this has been happening from the very first service, however I put it down to being sloppy when filling or cleaning up after draining the oil. But it's exactly the same when i do it and being pedantic about leaks or drips.

It's not a burnt oil smell - just smells of engine oil.

Anyone had this issue and know what it is? I've done a Google and there was a thread on this same issue on a US forum, but haven't seen any other mention of it.
Do you clean the sump with degreaser around where the filter goes ?
This is where oil sometimes ends up when the oil gashes out of the filter when you remove it.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The smallest drop onto a hot exhaust manifold will do it every time.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I get the same thing and thought it was the dealer being messy sh*t’s but I did a service myself and was insanely careful and degreased everything even sprayed degreaser on a rag and to get in all the hard to reach places and still had the oil smell after.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
My VE V8 did this for approx 200km after an oil change too - I know it’s not the answer you want to hear, but I never did get to the bottom of it! Not a drop of oil has ever been spilt when doing an oil change - queried it with the dealer numerous times and they didn’t know either - still does it to this day

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What oil are you using? It could be the volatiles in the oil taking a few hundred ks to evaporate and disappear. For interest sake you could use a good fully synthetic oil next time and see if you notice less smell as there should be less volatiles it.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
What oil are you using? It could be the volatiles in the oil taking a few hundred ks to evaporate and disappear. For interest sake you could use a good fully synthetic oil next time and see if you notice less smell as there should be less volatiles it.
It’s never had anything other than Mobil 1 5W-30 Dexos 1

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Thanks for all the replies. Was pretty thorough re any spills/drips when I did the oil change as the previous oil smell was on my mind when doing it, but put up on stands again today to double check and all spotless.

In terms of the oil used - I have no idea what the dealer used, but I've just put in Penrite Enviro+ GF5 Petrol 5-30.

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I had a similar issue on my VE, dipstick tube was cracked, worth checking