Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil spilled onto Alternator - Can I degrease it?

Classic327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 3ltr - 82 Chevy Pickup
Hi Guys
I am doing the timing chains on my 3ltr 09 VE Commodore. With the timing cover off and turning the engine over by hand to line up the timing marks, I did not notice oil run onto and in the alternator. Careless I know, I was focussed on watching for the timing marks to line up so did not notice until it was too late. Can anyone please advise what I should do? I am hesitant to spray degreaser on and in the alternator, I also have a can of CRC Precision Contact cleaner. Rather than charge ahead and make the situation worse I am hoping someone who knows for sure can help me out with what to do. This happened 5 days ago.

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
5 days ago. Well I guess it’s well soaked in now.
You should have cleaned it up well immediately.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Oil will soak into everything and can cause damage. You have nothing to lose now anyway, I would degrease it, hose it out thoroughly and hit it with contact cleaner as well when it's dry.

Get another alternator as well as back up in case it fails.

Classic327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 3ltr - 82 Chevy Pickup
Oil will soak into everything and can cause damage. You have nothing to lose now anyway, I would degrease it, hose it out thoroughly and hit it with contact cleaner as well when it's dry.

Get another alternator as well as back up in case it fails.

Thanks for your help and advise, much appreciated!