Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil still leaking even after rocker cover gasket changed...

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
so i was driving down the road, not going fast or anything, just cruising, get to a set of lights and after about 10 seconds i see a sh!t load of smoke coming out of the bonnet

so i pull over, open it up, and there heaps of oil on the rocker cover, (the left one) and smoke coming off the manifolds where the oil has, i think dripped onto, which it then decided to catch on fire, not too bad though, just got to it before it could do any damage

the transmission dipstick had also popped off which i noticed and i looked at the colour and it was pretty brown aswell, dont know if thats a seperate issue but yer

i also changed the rocker cover gasket about 2 days ago so i now have no idea whats going on

any ideas????

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You didn't do the job properly :p.

You either pinched the gaskets, they were torn before you put them on or you didn't do the covers up properly.

Proman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
did you make sure the gasket sat nicely in the rocker cover, you can put some vasoline or something similar so the gasket stays in the grooves nice and flush, or check for cracks on the cover its self id say

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
if the auto dipstick tube was out, its a good chance it is trans fluid that got spat out and caused the smoke. Have you got oil on the underside of the bonett?

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
The dipstick is on the right and He is talking about the left rocker. Id say check your work and the gasget and them turn to the trans couse thats a different and bad problem.

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
www.shaunpainephotography.com
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
dunno if Im missing something obvious(ie: what kinda car/trans etc.) or if you guys are looking at the engine a different way, but we were working on my mates VR auto and checked the trans oil while we were at it, and the dipstick was definitely on the left of the enginebay? I thought the VS were the same, too? Issues could be related, but if I'm completely wrong then ignore me :D

EDIT: ^ If you're looking from the front of the car toward the firewall that is

dippy.jpg

The locking dipstick cover thingo circled

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Left is sometime right which is why it's best to say passenger or drivers side. Engine firing order is the same - Poms and Yanks have number 1 at the front whilst Frogs (and Jaguar) have number 1 at the firewall.
If the trans dipstick is out, you can bet thats' where the oil came from.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I would be checking your gearbox breathers.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
thanks for the replies people

probably whip out the service manual and have a look at all of those things when i get time

dunno if this is any relation to the problem

but there is a hissing sound coming from the centre console

and

it never wants to get out of gear in the monring, gets to about 4000rpm and then changes sometimes, but thats morning aswell so yer, normally goes fine when its warmed up, but that takes ages

cheers again :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6