Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Sump & Dip Stick Question

gtpvette

Reaction score
Members Ride
C7 Corvette
I'm in the process of swapping an LXF (newer Alloytech) into a Scion FRS. The only way to make it fit was using what I believe is a Commodore VZ oil pan that I had shipped over from AU. So my questions,,, Is the sump I've pictured in fact from a VZ?? In reading about VZ's looks like they take 6.5 liters of oil,,, is that correct?? Lastly has anyone ever pulled the dip stick and measured how far it sticks out of the tube and where the markings are?? I only have a dip stick that came with the motor and it's based on a different oil pan, so not of much use as is. THANKS!!

pan8.jpg
pan9.jpg
trd1.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
@wannaeatyourbrains would be a good person to answer that :)

Also, why on earth would you choose to put an elaborate boat anchor into another car?
Yes they take about 6.5ltrs of oil, although more can go in. (I drop almost 7ltrs in and the crank doesn't foam the oil going by what it's like on the dip stick.)

Also, can we talk about that intake plenum?

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.53.48 am.png

VZ

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.54.44 am.png

VE (G8)

Also, why would you not use a Toyota V6? Further more, why would you not use a WRX motor??

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The dipstick.
All measurements are in mm because that is what the whole world uses, except “you people”. :p
2353C65F-B1F7-4484-89BD-29413D910C56.jpeg

A71D6E7C-E50B-4157-B093-B9F4B680CCF8.jpeg

Full length. Image is directly over the measure.

E4786756-AF91-43B6-9F9A-C1BF9D3080CC.jpeg

Low oil. (Image centered over the exact point of measure)

3D42B25D-37B7-4B0E-A4ED-54CD60C12DAA.jpeg

Full mark (image centered over the point of measure)

gtpvette

Reaction score
Members Ride
C7 Corvette
Also, why on earth would you choose to put an elaborate boat anchor into another car?
Yes they take about 6.5ltrs of oil, although more can go in. (I drop almost 7ltrs in and the crank doesn't foam the oil going by what it's like on the dip stick.)

Also, can we talk about that intake plenum?

Thank you sir!! VZ pan it is. I took what I had yesterday and poured 5.5 liters of water in the pan to get a reference. Ended up just about to the dipstick tube in the pan. Still plenty of room to the windage tray so almost 7 liters should work fine.

As for my choice of motor,,, seemed reasonable to me although I don't have any experience with them. Turns out it's lighter than what came out, 325 HP versus 200HP and these motors are put in everything here so they're widely available. I paid about $1200 US for a motor with 17,000 miles. Car weights 2700lb so power to weight will be roughly what an older SS Camaro is. The transmission gear ratio isn't the best so I may need to change the rear gear once running. All that said,,, I still may live to regret this LOL..

As for the carbon part,, it's just a cover I made. My motor has that god awful looking plastic intake so I made this to one cover it and two it keep folks guessing as to what motor it is. Fiberglass underneath, CF overlay with surfboard resin.

The dipstick.
All measurements are in mm because that is what the whole world uses, except “you people”. :p

Absolutely perfect,, thank you! Now where's my calculator??