Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil, tricky stuff

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Gday guys,
got a 1990 VN Exective Wagon, have owned the exact same model before, but sold it off cheap and recently aquired this.
Bought it cheap with 8 months rego off an old bloke, no RWC which I'm working on.
The clock reads 336,760 at the moment, was 334,XXX when I bought it. It runs great, compared to my old one with MANY running issues pushing 306,000 on the clock, and I'm lead to believe it was probably poorly treated having 4 previous owners to myself.
Thing is, this has a Reconditioned motor and the old bloke, being a bit senile, didn't recall how long ago exactly this new engine was put in, or how many k's it had, only that it set him back $1,700 for motor and install labour...

Runs fine but I reckon it's time for an oil change and a service, which I plan to do myself, but I'm really dumb struck with what Oil to go with not knowing how old this engine is...so what do I do? Synthetic, Semi-Synth, Mineral? .... Help me out if possible anybody, and any tips, brands, specific items?

Big thanks!