Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil, tricky stuff.

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Gday guys,
got a 1990 VN Exective Wagon, have owned the exact same model before, but sold it off cheap and recently aquired this.
Bought it cheap with 8 months rego off an old bloke, no RWC which I'm working on.
The clock reads 336,760 at the moment, was 334,XXX when I bought it. It runs great, compared to my old one with MANY running issues pushing 306,000 on the clock, and I'm lead to believe it was probably poorly treated having 4 previous owners to myself.
Thing is, this has a Reconditioned motor and the old bloke, being a bit senile, didn't recall how long ago exactly this new engine was put in, or how many k's it had, only that it set him back $1,700 for motor and install labour...

Runs fine but I reckon it's time for an oil change and a service, which I plan to do myself, but I'm really dumb struck with what Oil to go with not knowing how old this engine is...so what do I do? Synthetic, Semi-Synth, Mineral? .... Help me out if possible anybody, and any tips, brands, specific items?

Big thanks!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I would really like to know where you can get a reco motor done and installed for $1700? Sounds a little BS to me.

As for which oil, how much you want to spend. Nothing wrong with a good mineral, but a good synthetic will (theoretically) be better.

If the engine has been reco'd, maybe a 10w-40 or 10w-50

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Happy to spend up to about $65 for 5 litres.
I don't know if it makes any different but we live country and a lot of people around here do work for you for next to nothing.

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Oil for non-race engines

Don't take my word for this; everyone one has a different opinion:
The really expensive synthetics are not worth it unless the engine has tight tolerances and demands the top shelf stuff.
Improving the oil change frequency is what I believe in for an everyday car. I usually change the oil in a used car more often when I buy one in an attempt to "clean" the sump of who knows what.
A 10w-30 is a good all rounder. If you are keen then blending around 20-30% top shelf engine oil will improve the properties of the oil inside the engine. And the grade should be changed between winter & summer (especially in the colder areas).
I have found that the expensive top shelf stuff is not really suitable for the hydraulic lifters. Then again everyone has a different opinion.
If it was a race car then oil changes would occur after each race for longevity of the engine. I hope this is of some help for you.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Happy to spend up to about $65 for 5 litres.
I don't know if it makes any different but we live country and a lot of people around here do work for you for next to nothing.

Ah good ol' country help, love it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Any good quality 20W50 oil.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I usually change the oil in a used car more often when I buy one in an attempt to "clean" the sump of who knows what.

Amen to that.
Cheap-ass oil for 100km, then change again with reasonable oil at 1000km then back to normal.

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
Gotta love the country people haha, lots of labor for little dollar!
Cheers guys, been reading over this and a few other pages here and there, think I'm going to go with Valvoline or Penrite 20W50 for the old girl, cheers!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have Valvoline Synpower 10w-50 in my car and like it. Supercheap have it on special for about $53. Its fully Synthetic.