Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil viscosity and noisy lifters

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
a thinner oil will get in and through and out of more places quicker then a thicker oil, trying to stop a noise using a thicker oil may just mask/dull the sound not fix the cause where the thinner can get into it and so fill a lifter quicker so it operates better, i got some high rpm hydraulic lifters for my build and they actually recommend no thicker then a 40 i think it was for best operation of the lifter

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've got LS7 lifters in my camed LS1 which has about 125k m
Km on the engine

The engine was noisy with 5w30, still a bit little noisy with 10w40, now, using 10w60 the engine runs nice and quite

Engine runs like a dream with no drawbacks at all

My choice for running a thicker oil in the LS was from doing "alot" of research, taking the climate into consideration, and, most importantly, just experimenting with different brands and weights

Engine oils I've tried in this engine, all full synth: (I did and engine oil flush when I first picked up the car with 115k km on it).
Nulon 5w30 - noisy - changed after 2000km
Penrite 5w30 - noisy - changed after 2000km
Penrite 10w40 - better - changed after 5000km
Carstrol Edge 10w60 - best-currently has 1000km of use and will get changed at 5000km

I'll get a oil test done now that my ears are happy when I swap out the oil

And as the oiling system in the top of the LS is a "splash around and hope it lands in the right place" for me the thicher oil is a bonus for cooling and lubrication

I was going to try Penrite 10w50 but the Castrol Edge was on special

Disclaimer: my research and choices are based of the sound of the engine and what other people have recommended, BUT, the only way to REALLY tell how your oil is performing is an oil test

On a side note, my Harley also uses 10w60

On a another side note: about the price of oil, it costs me approximately $100 to do an oil/filter change, I consider this "cheap insurance" for an engine that could cost around $10k to replace

On another another side note: the car user manual recommends the oil that will typically give the best fuel economy and engine protection for a car that is driven by Miss Daisy.......personal opinion.....

This post represents the official views of the voices in my head

Opions will most definitely vary, whether it is based of testing, research or what the cool kids are doing

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
It is expected and is due to sliding surfaces "drying" out between the lack of uses. My favourite car got a bit clackety when I started it up it during C-19 lockdown. But its mostly quieter now due to being used more.
My Minister of Finances ignores me and always puts her foot down hard on a cold engine to gun both cars down our street when she drives. "Absolute power", I guess.
Back to the topic - best stick to the recommended oil viscosity - there is a reason why it is recommended and changing oil viscosities will have other undesired outcomes.
I use Penrite HPR 30 in all my old engines. No problems with excessive oil pressure on cold start, the zinc provides the sliding surface lubrication that were inherent in old engine designs and the extra viscosity maintains the oil pressure required for hydrodynamic engine bearings to work.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I use Penrite HPR 30 in all my old engines. No problems with excessive oil pressure on cold start, the zinc provides the sliding surface lubrication that were inherent in old engine designs and the extra viscosity maintains the oil pressure required for hydrodynamic engine bearings to work.
It’s great in the old Holden 5 litre, as well as a lot of other older engines too I’d imagine but far too thick for an LS engine

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
yes I would use it in an old engine as well. but not one with 17k on it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
20201205_095103.jpg