Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil viscosity - cammed L98 - help!

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Recommendations Please - on the right viscosity synthetic oil to run in L77 DOD deleted (essentially an L98 now) with 45k kms on the clock and recent cam/lifter change.

Currently running Penrite GF5 5w30 synthetic engine oil which is recommended by GMH for std spec L77 running DOD. But with DOD delete, higher lift cam and higher engine temps I believe I should consider running a better suited oil.

From cold start engine is quiet at idle - no ticking, and throughout the revs. I've noticed when engine is hot and after driving for some time, idling in traffic and warmer days I can hear typical LS sewing machine noise or slight ticking at idle. Valve train is slightly louder between 2500 - 3000rpm when engine is at full running temp. Not loud enough for me to think there's a lifter / preload or other mechanical issue. Also other people can't really hear what I do, and it annoys me. I've read good and bad things about additives in Penrite oils so want to try something new and more suitable.

Recent engine mods/specs below:
  1. 6.0L L77 with dod delete.
  2. VCM11 cam (225/232@50, 590 lift)
  3. Rollmaster single row chain
  4. Topline - Johnson Hylift LS7 spec lifters P/N a-2281
  5. Original GM L77 high vol oil pump (with sump bypass valve blocked off)
  6. Yella Terra ultralite roller rockers
  7. PSI beehive valve springs
  8. 700kms since new cam and mods installed.
  9. Oil pressure from idle is 55psi hot and climbs nicely throughout rev range.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That oil should be fine. If you're really that worried you could switch to penrite ten tenths.
If you don't like penrite maybe go a Mobil 1 or a Redline.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Try something a little thicker if concerned just be cautious during warm up period.

Not much more you can do if it's already got dod delete,new lifters & cam other than keep an eye/ear on it.

Workmate has whipple blown 7 litre vf clubbie...dude gets instantly paranoid if he even thinks it's got a new noise lol

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Key thing is to eliminate the sewing machine sound when hot at idle.
Try something a little thicker if concerned just be cautious during warm up period.

Not much more you can do if it's already got dod delete,new lifters & cam other than keep an eye/ear on it.

Workmate has whipple blown 7 litre vf clubbie...dude gets instantly paranoid if he even thinks it's got a new noise lol
I guess I could be paranoid also :) I'm considering switching to penrite hpr5 5w40 for better lubrication when hot. I don't drive until the engine/oil temp is up.

If anyone uses hpr5 I'm looking for opinions.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Key thing is to eliminate the sewing machine sound when hot at idle.

I guess I could be paranoid also :) I'm considering switching to penrite hpr5 5w40 for better lubrication when hot. I don't drive until the engine/oil temp is up.

If anyone uses hpr5 I'm looking for opinions.

I would just go to ten tenths don't stuff around with the HPR.
You said you're already using penrite which should be the HPR5 if you're not using that you're using their cheap ****.
Ten tenths is their "racing" oil, it has more zinc than HPR5 and has more ester in it from memory so it's a fuller full synthetic.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
I would just go to ten tenths don't stuff around with the HPR.
You said you're already using penrite which should be the HPR5 if you're not using that you're using their cheap ****.
Ten tenths is their "racing" oil, it has more zinc than HPR5 and has more ester in it from memory so it's a fuller full synthetic.

Ok thank you! That's the stuff. I was using the penrite GF5 but I'll dump it this weekend, and yeah I reckon it's crap. I've read about the quality of ester based oils but wasn't sure what to look for. The marketing is confusing as the HPR5 label says "Extra Ten" on it and "Full Zinc" see 2nd image.

The 10Tenths image is attached. I'll stick to 5w30 rating cause the next w option in 10Tenths is 10w40 which I think might be too thick for cold starts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-224142_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-224142_Chrome.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Screenshot_20210428-231058_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-231058_Chrome.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 290

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I run the hpr5 in my L98 and it’s good stuff really, can’t go wrong with it but if you can afford to spend the extra on 10 tenths then do it

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ok thank you! That's the stuff. I was using the penrite GF5 but I'll dump it this weekend, and yeah I reckon it's crap. I've read about the quality of ester based oils but wasn't sure what to look for. The marketing is confusing as the HPR5 label says "Extra Ten" on it and "Full Zinc" see 2nd image.

The 10Tenths image is attached. I'll stick to 5w30 rating cause the next w option in 10Tenths is 10w40 which I think might be too thick for cold starts?

LS don't mind a thicker oil say a 10w-50.
Really the only time you need to worry about viscosity is when pressure based control systems are used like the VVT in the later model LT engines.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
I've basically got the same mods ( cam ls7 lifters dod delete dual valve springs etc) I have used Penrite 5w-30 GF, Nulon 5-30 and recently Penrite 5w-40 enviro and the sewing machine is constant but with the 1 7/8's headers theres all sorts of noise anyway