Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil viscosity - cammed L98 - help!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I run the HPR5 5W-40 in my L98. I haven‘t noticed any valve train noises etc on startup while running it but it hasn’t gotten really cold in the mornings yet either. Mine has 190 thousand on it and the provenance isn’t known but I don’t think it’s been rebuilt. It only burns maybe 100ml of oil every 5000kms so I’m fairly happy with it

It is quite expensive though. I think I paid around $100 for the 10 litre bottle. A far cry from the “whatever is on special for $20 for 5 litres“ I used to get for all my previous cars!

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've basically got the same mods ( cam ls7 lifters dod delete dual valve springs etc) I have used Penrite 5w-30 GF, Nulon 5-30 and recently Penrite 5w-40 enviro and the sewing machine is constant but with the 1 7/8's headers theres all sorts of noise anyway

This. A higher lift valvetrain will make more noise, especially through thin headers once the oil is hot, paranoia via radio muting is not uncommon, I feel you :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I run thicker oil in a modified (otr,tune,exhaust blah blah) yet high mileage clapped out vy sv8...not as much lifter noise I just let it idle for a mins cold & generally keep revs under 2k untill see needle heading towards operating temp.

3 years later it's just as clapped out before I modifid it & no point putting exxy oil in as leaks like a sieve yet soldiers on to 250k mark on the odo

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210430-093254_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-093254_Chrome.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
This. A higher lift valvetrain will make more noise, especially through thin headers once the oil is hot, paranoia via radio muting is not uncommon, I feel you :)
Haha yep I'm a little paranoid but also keen to try a new oil to see if I can quieten down the noises that haunt me.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Currently i would be looking @NZ$78 for 5l of 10tenths 5w-50.
But oil is cheap as opposed to rebuilding motor.
Agree. And the reason I'm looking to run the best I can buy.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
I ended up buying Penrite 10tenths 10w40. Now to compare with GF5 - expectation is to reduce a little LS valvetrain noise.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
I would just go to ten tenths don't stuff around with the HPR.
You said you're already using penrite which should be the HPR5 if you're not using that you're using their cheap ****.
Ten tenths is their "racing" oil, it has more zinc than HPR5 and has more ester in it from memory so it's a fuller full synthetic.

Results are in. Penrite 10tenths Racing10 made all the difference with 10w40 viscosity.

When the engine was hot and running GF5 the valve train was noisy at idle and from 2500rpm to 4000rpm. Now running 10tenths all I can hear is chatter from the extractors and injection, and valve train noise is hardly noticeable.

I researched for weeks thinking my lifters were the problem. I considered lifting the heads to check them, or swap them for genuine LS7 lifters. With only 700kms since the build I thought the worst.

The GF5 was definitely breaking down and confirms peoples comments that it is crap. Extra heat from bigger cam etc doesn't help.

The ester base Penrite 10tenths lives up to its expectation with great results. Thanks to everyone for sharing their comments. If you have engine noise and a cam try 10tenths.

Last edited:

Luke..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon.
Key thing is to eliminate the sewing machine sound when hot at idle.

I guess I could be paranoid also :) I'm considering switching to penrite hpr5 5w40 for better lubrication when hot. I don't drive until the engine/oil temp is up.

If anyone uses hpr5 I'm looking for opinions.
I've been using HPR5 in EVERYTHING commodore, V8 jeep, CBR900, diesel Ford Mondeo, Diesel Mazda ute. I drive and ride everything like I stole it and I couldn't be happier. Beyond that, I'm not sure if it would suit you.