Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil viscosity on an engine with some K's

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
My SS has just over 150k on it. When the services are done, they still use full synth 5w-30 in it. It has extractors, CAI, Tune etc, and i tend to sometimes drive it hard. when it gets hot the lifters start to rattle, not a lot, but what you would expect for an engine with those K's that sometimes gets revved hard.
My question is, would it be better to put a heavier high-perf oil in it? i usually put thicker oil in older engines, especially in hot weather.
The guys that service it (I don't trust the local dealer to frig with it) say that the recommended oil is still fine.

rang427

3.6 luxury spec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6 SIDI
i would go up 5w to 10w that way it sticks around longer than just running through the engine so quickly. the oil may end up a little darker than the more viscous oil because its been around longer at the parts that use the oil.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
how do you know it is lifter noise? not to be rude but you are not doing oil... but the bloke who does, and you trust, is probably the bloke saying lifters and is the same bloke saying oil ok. If true, I would trust his judgement.

btw the 1st number is cold....and bigger number more viscous.....and black is carbon crap from cylinder walls mainly and is pretty much a ring thing (very little from oil burn up top).....

It is the last number that is the hot number................

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
how do you know it is lifter noise? not to be rude but you are not doing oil... but the bloke who does, and you trust, is probably the bloke saying lifters and is the same bloke saying oil ok. If true, I would trust his judgement.

btw the 1st number is cold....and bigger number more viscous.....and black is carbon crap from cylinder walls mainly and is pretty much a ring thing (very little from oil burn up top).....

It is the last number that is the hot number................

i know what noisy lifters sound like. It's not the injectors, i checked. Like i said, it's not too bad, but in an engine with a few K's a thicker oil would have to help.
A new cam, lifters etc is going in in the new year, so old lifters will be replaced, and possibly rockers as well. But until then, it will do a few thousand K's (traveling to Qld) and i'm curious as to whether or not i should use slightly thicker oil. As for the mechanic that does the service, i trust him, he has done a bit of work on my car, but, they aren't going to recommend anything other than what the service manual states.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
my son has a VR Commodore with well over 300,000 on it. The only thing that has been changed is the injectors. He runs 40W-70 in it LOL it's like honey!! BUT, the lifters stopped making noise :driving:

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
my son has a VR Commodore with well over 300,000 on it. The only thing that has been changed is the injectors. He runs 40W-70 in it LOL it's like honey!! BUT, the lifters stopped making noise :driving:

before people jump down my throat, i'm not using that as a reference to my OP.... just saying, sometimes slightly thicker oil, or in his case, MUCH thicker oil, can help.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
10W40 should be fine.

Try Royal Purple oil, or Penrith 10ths Racing 10W40 (which i currently have) and works great.

Found these oils to be excellent.

PS, Supercheap Auto has a 20% off sale today only.
You can order via the website for this stuff as its $55.19, saving of $13.80 but not all stores have it. Luckily they have it at my fav store.

Last edited:

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
I run 5W/40 helix ultra synthetic. Don't have any noise and still get 9L/100km on highway with around 200rwhp..?
167,000km.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Edge 10w60 ftw. It is a true catagory 4 oil (synthetic) unlike most others that claim to be but are only blends. It offers twice the film strength at operating temps then it's competitors. Does sound like a sewing machine when cold still and has the same film strength at start up as it competitors. But if I wanted a quiet and refined motor I would buy a BMW, merc or something similar rather then some dinosaur technology motor

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bought my Penrite
Still got about 7000kms til next change but worth it.