Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oilpressure

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I place a VDO 0-5bar sensor in my 304 engine and i hooked up a cluster from a wrecked Opel Monza with some wires to the engine that lies on the floor just to see its RPM Watertemp and oilpressure..

My 304 has 3 bars/45psi oilpressure wenn cold at idle the oil is 20w50...

Havent checked it the oil pressure wenn hot cause i had no time to get it warm.

Is that enough 45psi wenn cold????
What is good and what is bad for Holden V8 in terms of PSI?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The Holden v8's are known to have as little as 8-10psi on hot idle.

45 should be fine cold in my opinion, does it still go up with revs?

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah it kept going up pick up is not blocked and even after 20min idling an playing with the trottle the v8 never dropped below 35 psi (2,5bar).
I made a vid i will post it later..

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
are u sure the vdo sender suits the opel oil gauge..?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOeLcIU4Co&feature=youtu.be

Is that okay for a 304?
It was running for like 20 min idle and playing with the trottle temp in the shed was like 20 degrees..

That is pretty reasonable in my opinion.

Even Holden claims that a stock 304 will idle with next to no oil pressure when hot.

If it was a 355 stroker etc then it would be a different story, but I haven't seen a stock 304 have over 20psi hot idle in a very long time, you are doing well (mine sits between 10-15psi hot and has for several years).

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Sensor and cluster are Opel,its just the same sensor as u use in Australia i guess:
VDO DRUCKGEBER OELDRUCK 5 bar 1/8" Zoll WARNKONTAKT 0,5 bar SENSOR MANOMETER | eBay

That are the ones used on a Monza 0-5 bar and the meter is a stock one 95% the same are ures on ure VB SLE.

Anyway i found out something quit intresting:
My tacho as u saw in the vid was a stock Opel 6 tacho so thats why its on 1300rpm,my mate who send me the engine went to the wreckers in aus and got me a tacho he though it was from a 8 cyl but onces places in the cluster here it showed exactly the same rpm as my 6 cyl tacho i was like damit this sucks..

So i started reading on a german Opel forum about tacho,s and i found this:
Drehzahlumbau_6_8

Lol those tachos that are used by GM in Europe and Australia are like tachos for 4 6 8 its just how u adjust them there isnt a specific 4 or 6 or 8 cyl tacho i put my stock 6 cyl Monza tacho now to v8 tacho and it shows 1000rpm at idle:
Jason/Greenfoam put the idle rpm 100 revs higher for better oilflow and more waterflow according to him it was better so i said so it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
your sender is wrong.

the one you linked is 10-184 ohms, im pretty sure holden senders are 0-180, so if yours is measuring 10 ohms at zero pressure, then itll show pressure even when the car isnt running

you can test this by turning the ignition on and checking where the needle goes to.

edit* also your voltage is looking pretty low...

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Yeah yeah but this set cluster + sensor came from a running Monza so it belong together that link was only to show what model/size sensor i used..

I did a lot of reading over the 304 oil pressure but this is normal for a V8 i am was like a bit shocked i am used that the needle go,s all the way to the end of the meter saying 5 bar wenn cold and 2 bar wenn hot on my current daily 3liter engine
(Big oilpump and 20w50oil and a diesel engine over pressure valve from a Opel diesel engine)

I was so happy i could adjust my tacho to a V8 tacho and not had to buy one in australia and wait another 2 weeks lol this was a cheap and quick solution u can change ure tacho,s too that australian tacho is exactly the same as my euro tacho ony the plate with the numbers and the needle is diffent thats all,even the GM numbers are the same on the plastic housing

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
big or high volume pumps aren't really desired as they pump way too much oil up to the rocker covers and with stock drain backs doesn't help the cause!
try HPR30 oil...gives better pressure at hot idle, lubricates and puts a nice film on all the bearings.

my modified standard volume jp oil pump gives me 15-20psi @ 1000rpm hot idle with hpr30