Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils ain’t Oils

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Couldn't help myself.

Interestingly I had dinner a few years ago with a bloke who was an engineer on Formula one cars. He was an interesting and knowledgeable chap so I had to ask him the oil question. His response was interesting.

According to him there are only a few different base oil manufacturers - then every man and his dog has his own additives depending on their marketing objectives. His advice - unless you are putting an engine into extreme conditions was use the cheapest oil you can buy with the correct viscosity and designation and change it at the recommended interval. The only reason you would change the oil type is if you are saving $ by extending the distance between oil changes, Then you need to work out the cost benefit of such an approach. According to him using a fully synthetic oil, for example, and changing it at the regulation interval, was like pouring $ down the toilet.

When I asked him specifically what oil he used in his cars and bikes his reply - whatever is the cheapest at Woolworths.

Food for thought.