Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils Aint Oils

commisme

iksayvz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ6
Hey guys,just wandering what oils everyones been using in their sixes.Ive only had my execy for over a month and i dont no wat the dealer service used with the brand of oil,i had to top up so i was wandering wat brands and 10-30w?etc anyone would reccomend.I just got a bottle of mobile 15-40w s-synth,the guy at repco didint really have any idea if this would be that good for it,said shouldnt be a problem,but in his vy calais he said he uses Penrite-8$89 for 3 litres! i would nd 2 botlles! I use Vortex and i wanna get the besy performance and fuel economy so any experiences and reccomeds would be gr8!Thanks pps

kilmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
I was never too fussed...but I did ask for a synth blend when I had my first service done...and they changed it for me to a Mobil brand I think.....I use 98, have done since day 1 but I've never really taken a thought to my oil brand.... =( I probably should I think. =)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
as far as i know it cannot be a mineral oil, as it will sludge over the vvt (or something to do with that) and cause expensive problems

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
....misconceptions....

oil will not cause sludge because it is a mineral oil. Synthetic is not necessarily better.

Penrite is actually a very good oil, as is PM Lubricants. And their aussie made.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I buy Holden oil, it comes in 6lt containers and it is as rated in the manual 10w-30 GF3, that way I don't have to worry about fancy oils.
It is made by "Fuch's" which is what is in when you get your car new.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
well I have used mineral oil all of my VR's life, and there is no sludge build up in my engine (217k), but I serviced it every 5000k (including oil filter). I was using Castrol GTX2, I wasnt happy with the quality and now I'm using Penrite HP30, very good oil and the engine runs quite.

commisme

iksayvz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ6
I buy Holden oil, it comes in 6lt containers and it is as rated in the manual 10w-30 GF3, that way I don't have to worry about fancy oils.
It is made by "Fuch's" which is what is in when you get your car new.

is this fuchs stuff popular with many people?

commisme

iksayvz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ6
i think if you got the dosh penrite etc would be good for it ay?just too many to pick from.What does everyone do when they put in for sched serv? do you ask them to use the brand you want? or bring in your own bot?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
i bring in a 20 litre of my own gear, which is coloured red so i know if some dipshit puts in something different. Other than that I service my own.

A mechanic once told me 'I use valvoline (whatever grade) because its the right price". That day I learned to bring my own.