Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Okay, getting over this...

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by H4Z4RD, Aug 15, 2011.

1. H4Z4RD

H4Z4RD New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 SV6 Sedan
    So 30 minutes ago I've come downstairs to head to work, pressed unlock on my key, nothing, pressed it again, nothing, pressed it 5 or 6 times still nothing.

Thinking I've got a flat battery in my remote I used the key to open the door, key in the ignition, no power to anything.

Rewind to Thursday I went in for my 1st service, which was 4 hours. Not until I'm almost on the M5 on the way back home do I notice that I have no sat nav. Called them, they said it would take 2 hours to fix.

Took it back to them on the Saturday, after 3.5 hours I'm told my IQ unit was blown and they would have to order a replacement.

And now I'm sitting here late for work waiting for roadside assist to turn up. NOT HAPPY HOLDEN!!!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.896480,151.161520

2. itsagixa

itsagixa New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    that sucks mate....at least its under warranty

3. brgsv6

brgsv6 Bing!

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 M6
    My sv6 did that, series 1 so doesn't have IQ but I got the battery checked they said it was fine, took it to Holden for a software update and they said there's no current draw. They said it was the battery.
    It went flat after I didn't drive it for 2 full days then I left it for like 6 days two weeks later and it started fine. Silly :)

4. HussySV6

HussySV6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VW GOLF GTD
    Same thing happen to me. About a month ago. Series 1 09 SV6. EXACT PROBLEM. Funny thing was i had a spare battary in the shed so i thought i would change it but you cant open the boot with a blown battary and the battary in the boot

After waiting for road side assist for 4 hours, i rang them again 2 hours later again then i got angry called my dad, my dad called LEXUS(mums car) roadside assist. FUNNY THING IS IT WAS RACQ aswell and they came in 20 minutes and my dad got them to do it.

It really is patheic

5. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Just thinking out allowed but is there anyway you could get in to the engine bay? (maybe from underneath?) If so you could slap a battery charger on to that red plastic covered positive terminal. that would give you enough charge to pop the boot and then properly charge your battery or switch it out for a new one.....

6. westy27

westy27 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    If you can get in the car, there is a yellow tab near the centre rear set that allows you to open the boot without power to check battery.

7. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    Unlock the door with the key, pull the bonnet release, bonnet opens :p

8. BigBoss

BigBoss Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    Hahaha, yes that will work 2 :p

9. BruceSS

BruceSS Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS auto
    No it won't.

The key only operates the central locking system which does not work if there is no battery power. It is not a mechanical key.

The RACQ had to prize open the door frame a little at the top to insert a long wire to pull the bonnet release !!!!

10. wing_nut

wing_nut Banned

Members Ride:
    Barina with Chrome Plated grease nipples
    RACQ roadside assist is a joke

11. vicarious

vicarious New Member

Members Ride:
    VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
    UMM, not a mechanical key? why is there a door lock on the driver side handle?, you turn the key left to the back of the car and it will unlock the car.

12. BruceSS

BruceSS Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS auto
    note when you do that all the doors unlock (central locking) not just the driver's door
    try lifting the bonnet, lock the doors, disconnect the battery and try the key - see how you go

13. vicarious

vicarious New Member

Members Ride:
    VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
    even if the battery is flat or disconnected you can still open the car by manually by the key it takes a bit of effort but still does & why do i open my bonnet the battery is in the back

14. CJY92

CJY92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    you can unlock the car manually, once in you can open the bonnet (which is mechanical) you can jump start it by using the two terminals or even get into the boot to change or charge the battery by pulling the yellow ring that you can see if you pull down the middle seat(which is also mechanical)
    I know this cause I left my lights on accidentally when changing them which completely drained that battery.

15. BruceSS

BruceSS Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS auto
    Sorry I meant open the the boot, I said bonnet as that had to be opened to connect another battery to open and start.
    Have you ACTUALLY used the key when battery has been disconnected or dead flat?

16. westy27

westy27 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    yes i have, when i had the battery out of the car and the missus shut the boot! put key in and turn. Holden would not make a car that you cant get into if the battery was dead!

17. UFO

UFO I Believe

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
    Exactly.... and its not just Holden, it's anyone. There's a reason keys still exist, and there's a reason bonnet releases are still mechanical and not electronic. Safety first and foremost... regardless of power (or lack there of due to fault or battery drain), access to cabin and engine bay must always be available. I'm not going to waste hours reading up ADR's now, but without question there would be a requirement for mechanical release to doors and bonnet that doesnt rely on power.