Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old for sale threads...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
is it that hard? why cant people just report the thread when the items sold to notify a mod that it needs deleting.

Thats more or less what I'm asking, didn't think it was hard? But theres a **** load there that are already long dead, that could use deleting/moving.

It would be a lot easier and much less time consuming (i guess) for the mods but a lot of these threads get forgotten by the op

As it is, the T/P Mod's close the threads after they're notified by the O/P that its sold, but it'd be better if they got deleted/moved aswell so they don't show up still.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Well we really dont have the time, nor the patience to go through and delete every single one of them.

We close them if we get a PM asking for it to be closed, other than that we arent going to go through every thread looking if the product has been sold.

The only problem I see with the "auto prune" system as minux has suggested (if it is like the current hiding system) is that if you search for something it still shows up and any knobhead can post in it, which is what most knobhead thread diggers do, they see it in the "related threads" section or something.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well whats the point in having 3 trading posts mod's if they can't be bothered doing their jobs? What does the job title consist of? Putting your hand up to become a mod, then not wanting to do anything to help the forum? (no offence to any of the current T/P Mods, its just the attitude of "we really couldn't be bothered..." that gets me. If you couldn't be bothered, then don't be a T/P Mod. Simple.)

If you read the suggestions already put forward, you'd see that no one has asked for you to go through and "check" if every post/item has been sold. Who cares if they're sold or not. If they haven't been bumped in over a year, obviously the item is not going to be still sitting there waiting for a very keen member to go searching through all of the other **** to find it.

Just delete the old crap.

How hard can it be, surely one night of going through it would see most if not all of them removed. Especially if you can select multiple threads at a time, select a whole page, "DELETE".
Start from the last post work back, when you get close to the current date, then have a quick look at some of them and if they're relevent leave those, any of the locked threads, whammo "DELETE."

Hozy has already put his hand up (shamelessly might I add :p) and I'm sure there is a few other members that would do it aswell? If it means getting the job done, I'd do it.

But agree'd the current hiding system is lacking in that department, there's not much point deleting/moving them if they still show up. Maybe they need to be put into a section like the "Donating 18+ Only" section, that can't be seen by other users.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Our job is to approve threads and stop idiots from cluttering it up with chat, issue warnings to those who do etc etc. Not to essentially hold peoples hands. Common sense from both buyers and sellers should prevail, when you sell your item, post a big #### off SOLD at the end of the thread or contact one of us and buyers to check dates and read threads. However they don't.

Sure Hozy may have put his hand up, however once you start to realise how many utterly stupid reported posts we get a day, morons PMing you asking why their post was deleted when it was a 2 line thread with no information in it, the last thing you want to do is go through and scour every thread. Also when you take into account that maybe 10% of people actually PM or ask us to close/delete their thread once its sold, can you imagine how many threads we would have to physically follow up?

If the other TP mods want to check every single thread for whether or not its sold then that's their business, I wont be. If someone takes the time to hit report post, it will be closed (whether or not we make it a rule that you have to report your post when its sold is an option but hard to police). As far as I remember, and this was a discussion I believe I had with minux or garth some years ago when I was made a State Moderator, we don't delete threads because it messes with searches or database or something, essentially, if you delete a thread theres less chance of someone say...for example searching on google for ROH Fury Rims Price and perhaps getting a redirect to this website.

If we just close threads and have a prune/auto hide system it would work. However, like I said, a big factor in that working is either a) us essentially going into each thread looking for evidence of it being sold or b) having every seller hit report post.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
there used to be an auto close after 3 months of inactivity in a trading thread. not sure if it got lost/turned off/whatever.

we dont delete threads as soon as something is sold, as the feedback system requires a link to the thread to work(only when giving feedback, i assume it isnt need after its given). a second auto prune to delete threads after 6 months is probably the best way to go.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Grennan - Did you read my post? I'm not asking you to hold my hand. Why would you have to check every single post to see if its sold?
Who gives a #### if its sold. If it hasn't been bumped in over a 6 months/year theres a pretty good chance its not there anymore.

Hakhawk - Fair enough, hopefully that would clear a few of them up then.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I did read your post and while I may not need to hold your hand, there are a lot of people that use that section that appear to have IQ's in the single digits.

If a post is 6 months old, shouldn't common sense prevail? I mean why would anyone be going 25 pages back?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
True, but when you search for 'for sale' items, there's heaps of old 'for sale' threads that come up. Making it more or less useless to search for anything.

Whats the system in play in the Swap/WTB/Trade section? From the forum's main page, it has over 5600 threads listed in it, but when you go into it there's only two pages - 98 threads. Is this the auto hide system? Or something else.
That seems to be working, and being only a couple of pages, makes it easy to go through them with out needing to search for things.