Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old Motor in newer car

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
what are the laws for fitting an older engine into a newer car eg VR buick motor into a VS ? Could someone please link me to the legislation?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Forgive me, but I must ask why? There would be many many VS Ecotecs available out there.

Perhaps you have a Buick V6 sitting around doing nothing?????? Personally I feel best to flog the Buick and simple drop the appropriate Ecotec into it that will give you no drama.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The motor going into said car must meet the emission requirements of the car it's being fitted to.

Hence why you cant put a carby 5L into say a VN-VS (legally)

Conversely if you wanted to fit a LS1 into a HG the ls1 needs to retain all of it's pollution/emission equipment that it came standard with. (legally speaking)

Vector

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 R8
The vehicle must run the emissions applicable to the car or engine whichever is newer

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
These are the Federal Emission Standards that each state regulates in their own way and tack on their own flavours:

Vehicle Emission Standards

What you'd notice here is the significant change to allowable gases per km after 1/1/97. So if you get a late VSII like mine, there's no way in hell an L27 could legally be fit and meet the ADR, let alone whatever your states regulations are on top. When it comes to emissions I'm not sure there is a state/territory that doesn't follow this to the letter.

Like Gossie said - why the heck would you want to?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As above, must meet newer emission standards of either the engine block or the car.

You can put a vn 5L into any vn-vs for example, since that engine was an option across the range and they all have the same emission requirements.

In the example of the ls1 into hg above, you still need an engineers certificate. (Well in excess of $1000). Same story with a 5L into hq-vl (technically). The way around that is to retain the original block and bolt the efi parts to it. But that will only be legal on a car that is pre ADR27a.

I know that doesn't apply directly to your situation, but that gives you an idea of how the rules work. Essentially, make sure you stick to manufacturers optional engines if you're wanting to keep it legal and avoid engineers certificates.

Much better off buying another ecotec. They're a superior engine in my eyes.

5ky3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
So since i can’t seem to workout how to post on here I’m going to slightly hijack this one and I apologise. So I’m wanting to put the Buick and gearbox from my manual vg into my auto 06 ve omega. I don’t want to know that it’s a **** idea or that it’s illegal I just want to know if it’s possible and how much of a **** around it would be.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not possible unless you have big pockets. Will be a lot of custom fab work and wiring.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It is possible if you don't mind wasting your time,money & marbles...

Better off fitting a carby...14 inch Hotwires & cutting springs in half