Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old VL: sell it, tow it, give it away?

Lazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
It has pretty good tyres, LPG/Petrol, a very good motor, and drives well. But it is rough - the odd body damage, missing door strip, the high beam stalk is dodgy, needs a new catch for the glovebox, a couple of fuse holders are melted but working. It is white with matching bumpers/strips and has VK Calais rims, which might polish up ok if the centre caps were replaced.

It recently developed a cold start problem - once it warms up a little, the misfire disappears and it will run and start again all day with no problems. Then two weeks ago it simply cut out at while driving - would not fire for 20 minutes, then finally started and made it home. Hasn't moved since, but still starts.

If someone was to give it some time and attention it might make a great, cheap car. Or it may be only good for parts? It has 5 months rego and I don't know what it would need to get a RWC. I am in Melbourne. What should I do with it? Get it towed away? Put it on EBay?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
ebay and cash the rego in (know a few people that have been burnt selling cars without rwc and being silly enough to leave the plates on when strangers are involved)
get some stockies for it as the older 15" wheels seem to be coming back into some kind of fashion and sell them separately, people are starting to look for older mags for resto projects.
you may get between $300-$500 for it..... if it's looks like you have described, still more than what a wrecker or scrap tow would be willing to pay.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
How much did u pick it up for? I say put it on ebay

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Someone'll pick it up for their kid who's about to get their P's for a couple of hundred bucks, trust me

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Lol sounds like a pig... Post some pics..
Your running issue is the crank angle sensor as well.
Failing ones get warm and cut out.
Once cooled car will start again until it warms and then cuts out.

Lazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Thanks for replies. Yeah a bit of a pig - but I've had it for 15 years and it cost almost nothing to run. Crank Angle Sensor was my guess too - replaced that twice and did the head twice over its lifetime, but no other repairs except maintenance stuff like mufflers ... anyhow, seems the plan is cash in the plates and put it on Ebay for parts ...

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
68c a kilo for Scrap at the local yard.

Put some pics up or build a wrecking thread. I'm chasing the rear chrome strip that lines the rear quarter window

Lazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Finally listed it on ebay - Item number: 221203945093
Too cheap?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
should have parted it and sold the rest to the wrecker.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Finally listed it on ebay - Item number: 221203945093
Too cheap?

Price is pretty much right on :) Surely someone will pick it up for parts at the very least.