Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old VN and VP Hwp cars I drove...

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Resized_20170322_180315.jpg
Resized_20170323_170452.jpg
Resized_20170323_170613.jpg
Resized_20170403_192629.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Classic, love the VN Turbo, you might have started the ricer revolution.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a CAT badge on a yellow VE SS. Can't tell you the number of people who asked if was a diesel. I may have ,erm, accidentally let the words 'secret trial' slip....

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I had a CAT badge on a yellow VE SS. Can't tell you the number of people who asked if was a diesel. I may have ,erm, accidentally let the words 'secret trial' slip....

Put Buick badges on to really throw them

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That vy has some decent aerials on it haha

That to bring down planes or get hit by lightning?

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
The normal radio networks gave patchy reception out west so our cars had HF frequency transceivers. The aerials were great fun at McDonalds drive throughs....took a few kays off terminal velocity, though.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The normal radio networks gave patchy reception out west so our cars had HF frequency transceivers. The aerials were great fun at McDonalds drive throughs....took a few kays off terminal velocity, though.

The aerial and the maccas stories remind me of the old radio aerials I had....9" stainless hanging off the guard, going through the servos accidentially taking out the fluro lights and some upset servo owners having to replace them. Some even banned me from going in there....:)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
A good mates dad was a policeman in Melbourne and ended up working in the workshops. One of his jobs was to run in the new cars. I always enjoyed those stories, cars dating back to XY Falcons with GT running gear. When he retired the VN's had just been introduced.
He still thinks the VL turbos were the quickest cars he drove, much better handling without the 5lt out front. I'm not sure if they wound up the boost though, I must ask him next time I see him.

I would like to hear a few more stories ringfeeder.

The story on the VL brings back memories. My first car was a VL turbo manual and it certainly could go. They were a handful to drive and it took a bit of practice to keep the front wheels in front of the back ones when pressing the right foot. I do recall that I used to only give it about 1/2 throttle for a second or so and wait for the boost to hit. From there on it was steer like hell while pushing the throttle down. I read somewhere that the back of the VLs were too light due to the engine overhanging the front axles. This may be what made them prone to whipping the rear end out under acceleration.

I know that my VF Redline is a quicker car than the VL but it doesn’t seem to have the same push-in-the-back or excitement that the VL turbo had. Maybe it’s because the traction control in the VF keeps everything polite.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
A colleague picked up a new BMW 5 series Hwp car two days ago. Reckons it is smooth and fast and very quiet.

I get one in a week or so. Sadly reinforces the end of the Commodore era.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
SA cops are testing the ZB Commodores. Sadly I have read a few weeks ago that 1 has already been written off.

IMG_20180710_174932~2.jpg

crash-900x506.jpg

Last edited: