Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

older v8 in vp

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
hey guys just a quick question,
i have a vp wagon, v6 is shagged, so im looking at either another v6, or a worked v8 carby engine...now if i got the v8 carby option what emissions would i need being a 92 model car with a older carby v8? i would like it legal

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
no chance ever getting it regoed with the carbied v8.. if u want an 8 put in a injected 5 ltre as its legal if u get one out a vp or l8ter and it will produces more power then the carbied 8 or just go buy another v6 for 500 bucks

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
fair enough just thinking about my options

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
ive got a 5ltr motor but da wiring loom shat itself

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
what you after for it

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
pm me n offer, ive got everything to make it work, just needs new wiring loom

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
heres a trick question and something i had thought about doing a few years back before the stroker and turbo kits were available for the v6 but what if you grabbed a 253 and placed the 304 efi gear on top?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
heres a trick question and something i had thought about doing a few years back before the stroker and turbo kits were available for the v6 but what if you grabbed a 253 and placed the 304 efi gear on top?

Can be done, few issues though. Because the port order is different between the carby and efi V8's, you have to use the VN onwards heads and cam before an efi manifold will fit. You also have the issue of most (if not all? Can't remember) 253's being trimatic pattern, so you need to modify the block to fit the T700 box.

Once you've got all that out of the way, it's still probably not legal. I'm not sure how true it is, but I keep getting told that you can't use pre-emissions control blocks in an efi application because the RTA ID's the engine by block number, and if the block number is for an engine that doesn't meet the emission standard applicable to the car, they assume that the engine doesn't meet the standard. Even if you've brought it right up to efi spec. Seems stupid to me, but in my experience the RTA is stupid, so I'm perfectly willing to believe they'd do that.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
yeah thats what i thought

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
For what it is worth, addressing the OP: yes, you can fit a VL spec. carb. V8 into a VP because the emission laws applicable are the same. Why you would want to is another question.

The EFI heads onto a 253 (in a VP) is definitely not legal. Bringing an earlier 308 up to VP specs. can be OK, providing all the emission parts are present.