Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega Alternator Issue

Loki_Tapir

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Omega
Hey everybody,

New here and I'm kinda stumped.

Issue started a few weeks ago when my battery ran completely dry. (Being an idiot sitting in the car with full AC, radio, lights and wipers going chatting to a friend before leaving work) Charged it up at work and limped to supercheap for a new batt. (3 years old. It was time!)

New battery, all good not a problem. Then this week my alternator light comes on then off a few times. Missus then informs me it has done this a few times. I'd never seen it/never noticed it.
Then on my way to my fathers (No shed, no place to keep tools at my place) the car goes into battery saver mode with Alternator light now staying on. We give the battery a nice charge just in case and get the multimeter on it and it's saying around 12v. Turn car on and it jumps to about 12.7ish for around 3 seconds then down and starts slowly draining. Kinda like the ECU or something cuts in and stops it (Which I don't think is possible??)

Hmm ok. Dads multi is old and a bit dodgy at times so off we go back to supercheap to get a code readout and clear. The guy there has a nosey and says everything does appear to point toward a stuffed alternator.I stupidly passed on the code read then and headed home. I got a new one through them and installed it back at home the next day...Same problem, alternator light on not charging once it turns over. Does appear to charge briefly though... Ok we think. Maybe we just need that code cleared? Maybe because it's logged the error the ECU or whatever is not letting it do it's job?? We dunno..

We go back to supers and this time get the readout and clear. Codes were P0625 Generator field "f" control circuit / Low Voltage & P0521 Engine Oil pressuresensore/Switch Malfunction (A problem for next payday..) After the clear the P0625 code went away so that does seem to indicate that the old Alt. was indeed fried. Alternator light is still coming on however. The holden dealership was just a few blocks away so I went to see if they can help me out. I've been seeing alot of issues about Ve's with this kind of thing but nobody ever seems to post the end result fix. Dealer wants $104 to even look at it and wont look at it till next Tuesday. That's not including labour and parts... Godamn. Im not under warranty anymore either so...that's a last solution.

Depressed I head home. Pulling into my street I go into battery saver mode, abs turns off, stability turns off, speedo off pretty much everything off. I know I shouldn't be driving it but had no options...so here it sits in good old dad's shed. Oh payday, why must you never come early!

Can anybody help at all? I'm currently trying and failing to find an auto electrician who is actually open, mobile or otherwise...

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You could take the vehicle to a reputable Auto Electrician for advice OR if you or a family member belong to RACV, RACQ, NRMA etc then utilise their Patrol services and get them to check it for you. It might result in you saving heaps of money and time. Good luck.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have you had the battery load tested(I know you say its new, but new batteries have been known to have a weak/dropped cell, and what one did you put in it) check you battery connections, also the earths to the body, at the +ve post under the bonnet there is a join in the cable because it changes directions an goes under the car to the starter. there have been reports of bad joints there causing poor charging, check alternator connection too.