Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega & Berlina to get "premium" engine

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
This is exactly why I won't by any new car...Came with anything...wait till all the f***ups are fixed up first...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Yup... Cause those VP Commodores had absolutely NO problems! :whistling

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yup... Cause those VP Commodores had absolutely NO problems! :whistling

Whilst I have no idea how Lightning_VP's post was relevant to this thread, VP's were mechanically quite reliable back in their day. Today it is perhaps a different story lol

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Whilst I have no idea how Lightning_VP's post was relevant to this thread, VP's were mechanically quite reliable back in their day.

along the theme of the Omega and Berlina being new cars and having, yet again, more problems and stuff...

Safety although economy has gone up the "reliability" of cars has gone down the drain...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
along the theme of the Omega and Berlina being new cars and having, yet again, more problems and stuff...

Safety although economy has gone up the "reliability" of cars has gone down the drain...

There are no problems going on, just a more economical V6 at the cost of 5kw of power and 5NM of torque.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Please explain why reliability has "gone down the drain".

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

The changes being made to the VE's engines have absolutely nothing to do with the cars reliability. The rapid increases in fuel costs have forced manufacturers all over the world to modify engines and transmissions in an effort to improve fuel economy.

These changes won't be the last. Changing world conditions, buyer expectations and increasing competition will see to that. For a manufacturer to survive today, they can't release a new model and say "that's it, we won't touch it now until the next model comes out." They have to work hard continually improving and upgrading the cars to remain competitive.

About the only thing that Holden continues to do wrong, is to stick with the old four speed auto in base models. It is hopelessly obsolete and should have been chucked out years ago for at least a five speed auto as the base transmission. Hopefully, one for the VF to introduce.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Heard today that the Omega and Berlina motors will be getting an "upgrade" and will now have dual VVT like the 195 engine to reduce fuel consumption.
When I first heard this I assumed that the 195 and 5 speed would be dropped in but its quite the opposite.
The fuel consumption will now drop to 10.6 L/100KM however the motor has now lost power and torque as a result.
So the Base model now makes 175 KW (yet again) and 325 NM of torque and produces the power at 6500RPM as opposed to 6000 RPM.
Im really quite surprised that holden has has so much trouble squeezing fuel economy out of this car and the fact that they had to lower the power to do so.
Such a young engine and it seems like not that much can be done with it.

The underlying problem is the 1800 kgs of lard it has to push.

Reaper