Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega charging system HELP

holdenman91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 08
Hi I own a 2008 VE omega auto, 40,000km/2 years ago the battery was replaced due to not holding charge and charging system checked all ok. Just recently the vehicle failed to start due to low battery voltage - 8.45v. I drive the vehicle on average 10-20 kms daily and serviced every 10,000kms. If I disconnect the battery to charge it, will I be able to drive it after the fault codes are present? My gut feeling is that the alternator is not functioning correctly or maybe another electrical component, has anyone got any advice or experience with this issue. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
My alt. Failed but was still showing charge if it drops below 10.8 I think it will start to throw errors

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Mine was doing this. It was the battery, not the Alternator.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
10-20km is probably not long enough to charge the battery enough to recover from starting it. Try letting the car idle for a bit before driving.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
What fault codes are you getting? If anything, disconnecting the battery to charge it may clear the fault codes (but really should note what they are first). If your car starts now, disconnecting and charging can't stop it starting.

As for the battery, 2years doesn't sound too bad considering I agree with Husky's info there. The normal batteries do not like loosing charge, this greatly reduces their life. So with a life expectancy of 3-5years, being hard on it in regards to depleting its charge, 2yrs doesn't sound that odd. If the charge of your battery is going to be run down often, a deep cycle battery should be used. Or a battery that will be drained down a long way.

So personally, if I drove my car in those conditions I would firstly check the alternator for peace of mind. At least see what voltage it is charging at, just remember in the VE it is a variable rate. Mine will charge as high as 15.1V but as low as 13.?? V (that I've seen). Then I would either buy a charger wired into the car to make it easier than removing it all the time, buy a deep cycle battery and charge it less (or take a longer drive every other weekend should charge enough), or get used to buying a new battery every 2 years or so.

PS- if you've got a smart phone, I'd buy one of those cheap OBD2 dongles off ebay (think I paid $15ish). That way you can monitor the charge rate of the alternator in real time (might help show if there is a problem). I use a bluetooth one as my phone is android, but iPhone's need wifi. USB is a better connection, but I don't know if using that will provide enough power to charge my phone at the same time so I keep mine charging through the usb and bluetooth the dongle.