Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega Engine

Dinove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Series 11
Looking to buy a complete engine that will fit a 2011 Omega Commodore. What would I expect to pay for one. And does anyone know where I can get one from.

bgpzfm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTSS LS1 +2010 VE SV6 LLT ute +1990 VG V6 ute
What type of V6 (LFX, LLT, etc) or V8?

What's wrong with the one in the car?

Are you looking at a rebuilt engine, or one sourced from a wreck as is?

Dinove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Series 11
It's a 3.0. all Omega Commodores come out with the 3.0. the one in my car has done a conrod Bearing

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
It's a 3.0. all Omega Commodores come out with the 3.0. the one in my car has done a conrod Bearing
some omegas series 1 have the 3.6L engine, some have the dual fuel 3,6l engine and some in series 2 have the 3.6l LPG engine.

ring around wreckers for 2nd hand engine but check for oil sludge build up in the rocker covers etc as a quick guide to engine condition servicing

Dinove

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Series 11
some omegas series 1 have the 3.6L engine, some have the dual fuel 3,6l engine and some in series 2 have the 3.6l LPG engine.

ring around wreckers for 2nd hand engine but check for oil sludge build up in the rocker covers etc as a quick guide to engine condition servicing
Checked oil filter and can see some little bits of bearing. Been told it's a common issue with the omega motirs

bgpzfm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTSS LS1 +2010 VE SV6 LLT ute +1990 VG V6 ute
Checked oil filter and can see some little bits of bearing. Been told it's a common issue with the omega motirs

Ouch.

Rodney Hyland Cars & Parts up in Wynyard may be able to sort you out with an engine from a wreck. Only problem is that yard is in the area presently locked down by Covid19 restrictions.

A while back, I was looking at replacing the LLT engine in my 2010 SV6 ute (a purchase from a NSW auction) and spoke to a guy named Peter (ph 0414 560 771) who runs an engine reconditioning business on the mainland, and also advertises on ebay. Price was about $4000 exchange, and he could ship to Tassie for around $300. That's for a LLT engine, I guess a LF1 would be about the same price.

Deal was you'd need a shop to remove the old engine, then swap over the sensors, etc, install the replacement engine (which has a warranty) and then arrange shipping of the old engine back to Peter for reconditioning. The engine R&R plus sensor swap was estimated to be about 8 to 10 hours' labour. The replacement engine has new rings, bearings, timing chains and guides, gaskets, thermostat, etc.

This seemed like a good deal to me, since the first quote I'd got on the mainland for doing the timing chains was crazy expensive, and not far short of the exchange engine price.