Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega Ve commodore V6 Radiator Hose Pop off.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Don’t make em like they used to!

Replace your radiator cap while you’re at it too!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi greenacc

Just pulled the clip off the hose and found this part stuck in the hose..
What’s the plastic neck..??

Regards
You are holding it mate. The hose won't stay on properly now so you need to replace the radiator.
Same thing happened to me at about 220000 Ks. Autobahn sell decent rads, or find a hella behr online ( same as original)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Re changing from green back to red, with my VX Clubby when I bought it in 2006 it had green coolant in it. I asked the mechanical place where I get it serviced and the suggestion now that it has green not to change back to red. I still have green in it, car is now 18 years old. No problem.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
At the end of the day, it should have red coolant in it. If its got green in it, it will need a complete flush, maybe a few complete flushes to clear the green **** out. I'd say to get it done properly at a garage.

Im pretty sure Holden made the change from green to red on the VZ model?
Has something to do with the make up of the coolant and how it reacts with the internals of the hoses, radiator, and engine cooling veins.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Pre VZ green. VZ and onward red. Ecotec and Alloytec are totally different engines. The General knows best. Mix them and you make jelly.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Pre VZ green. VZ and onward red. Ecotec and Alloytec are totally different engines. The General knows best. Mix them and you make jelly.
Well there you go, learn something every day, for the last 12 years I was thinking some dipstick changed the coolant and used green in place of the original red.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Well there you go, learn something every day, for the last 12 years I was thinking some dipstick changed the coolant and used green in place of the original red.
That’s the v6s he’s referring to mate, the ecotec has a cast iron engine and they changed to the alloy (alloytech) engine from vz onwards your vx clubby should have the red coolant in it due to it being an alloy engine, the green coolant can cause the alloy to corrode over time

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Makes sense, I was just referring to the owners hand book, it refers to the coolant being Dex-Cool GM6277M specification, google that seems like it would be red.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
As has been said, the switch from green to red was made on the V6 models when the engine switched from the 3.8 ecotec (cast iron) to the 3.6 alloytec (aluminium)

On the V8 models, the switch was made when the Gen III V8 was introduced in the VT series 2 models - the old Holden 5L V8 had the cast iron block as opposed to the Gen III with the ally block

Personally, if it’s filled with the incorrect coolant, I’d be having it changed yesterday!