Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega VE won’t start or lock into gear

Tilly Morris

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Omega
My boyfriend was driving my 2007 Omega VE, parked it on a slight hill and without realising didn’t fully engage the handbrake. Later he saw the car rolling backwards, and when getting back in, the car would not turn over, however all the lights and accessories turned on in the car. Thinking it may have been the immobileiser, he got out, locked the car, waited then tried again but still nothing.

He then attempted to put the car into neutral to push it up the hill and park it, but he found complete fluidity when handling the gear stick. The car would not lock into any gear.

He checked all fluid levels (oil, transmission fluid etc) in the car, all of which were fine and there was no spillage on the ground underneath or anywhere near the car.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar thing happen to them, and any advice on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

We have contacted three seperate mechanics, but all had a different story about what was wrong with the car and one ridiculous quote claiming the entire gear system would need a complete replacement. I’m not an expert on these things, but I know enough not to jump straight to the conclusion that the whole system is shot. After looking at it myself I’m thinking possibly a rod or auto selector linage may have come loose or need replacing. Again not sure, any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated