Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OMG - So Annoying Please I Need Your Help Guys - Static Type Noise Aerial/Altenator?

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Just a little update i managed to get another aerial for $10 since the top part of mine is quite loose so ill try that asap and report back. In the mean time anyone got any other idea's? :thumbsup:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Ok this is a long shot but what sort of Spark Plug Leads are on your car? How does the car run in general...?

Only reason why I ask this is sometimes depending on the Leads....If they are in poor codition then they can sometimes cause Interference thru the electrical system and can sometimes cause strange noises to come back through the speakers.....

There is something else to try, but once again its a long shot.... but you could try isolating the Head Unit from the cars power supply.... One way to do this would be to disconnect the power completely from the car and run the Head unit off a seperate battery and see if the problem is still there....

Unfortunately without being at the car itself it is really hard to advise people.... But we will try our best..

cheers

Simon

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok this is a long shot but what sort of Spark Plug Leads are on your car? How does the car run in general...?

Only reason why I ask this is sometimes depending on the Leads....If they are in poor codition then they can sometimes cause Interference thru the electrical system and can sometimes cause strange noises to come back through the speakers.....

There is something else to try, but once again its a long shot.... but you could try isolating the Head Unit from the cars power supply.... One way to do this would be to disconnect the power completely from the car and run the Head unit off a seperate battery and see if the problem is still there....

Unfortunately without being at the car itself it is really hard to advise people.... But we will try our best..

cheers

Simon

Hmmm, thanks again for your continued help as i know it must be annoying. As for the car it runs absolutely brilliantly and i have no troubles with it what so ever so id rather not starting changing this that and the other. But as for isolating the HU to see whether its the problem is what has be confused me again because when the car is off the static type noise is non existent. Its only when the car is running which again makes me think earth/ground which i will again this weekend have to root around with.

I can see the writing on the wall though that sooner or later i am going to have to buy a new HU as this current one may well be the problem and it must be fairly old and probably one of the first HU's to have two RCA Pre-outs. Its not the most pretty looking either so i wouldn't mind getting a new HU but if the noise was exactly the same after all the rooting around i would be furious.

Thanks again for your continued help
Matt.

scr33ch08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dark Blue VS Stato
with my car i had the same problem end up being a earth wire in the head unit pull out take to audio place they could solder for about $50 or if u got a steady hand u can do it yourself ...

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
with my car i had the same problem end up being a earth wire in the head unit pull out take to audio place they could solder for about $50 or if u got a steady hand u can do it yourself ...

Hmm, so do you mean the earth wire was actually loose inside the HU and this was causing the same type of noise only when the car was running in your case? Thanks for the information as this is another thing i can check this weekend. To fix this annoying problem.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Quick question, do you have a multimeter? If so you could test the continuity of the outer part of the antenna plug on the Head Unit to the chassis of the Head Unit.......

Let me know what you get.....

Cheers

Simon

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quick question, do you have a multimeter? If so you could test the continuity of the outer part of the antenna plug on the Head Unit to the chassis of the Head Unit.......

Let me know what you get.....

Cheers

Simon

Yes my dad has already offered to do that this weekend. Hopefully it finds something :thumbsup:

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
Gday mate,
Me and a mate had a heap of interference issues with the stereo setup in his vl. It doesn't sound like the same issue, but it could be the same fix. Worth a shot.
He had an issue which was called "ground loop". I can't really explain as I don't understand the issue really well. Basically what we did was use a noise suppressor on the RCA cables to the amp. You may have a really small, hard to find and recitfy noise problem, wither through the alternator or the aerial or something, which is producing noise in the RCA's.
Jaycar sells the suppressors and they r fairly cheap, so give that a shot, might be an easy fix.

Hope you get it sorted out, sounds like a damn annoying issue. From what i can remember, ground loop was an issue with slightly warn components, and even some brand new gear, leaking a very small voltage through the ground, which then goes in the ground of other components. Don't quote me on this, as I'm not sure about it at all, and to me it sounds like BS, but if you google ground loop, you'll get an explanation of it.
That'd be where i'd look.

cheers,
-smurf

BrAdAsS

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.bradass.net
Members Ride
VX Executive A4
I have just gone through the whole find the alternator whine/ground loop when the vehicle is running thing myself after getting a high pitch whine for no reason... Resanding and upgrading earths, upgrading connectors, shortening wires, trying 1 and 2 ground points, rerouting power/signal wires as far apart as possible, accessories and auxillary devices, GPS power cable, even making a more permeable path for the induction to use.... all to no avail. It was the amplifier dieing in the boot. I disconnected the power wires to that amp and problem solved.

Interference is created when a unwanted current is induced through an existing path.
For example: the rca's ground/shield is inducing a current from the nearby power wire's electromagnetic field. This induced current can have the potential to damage the headunit and or amplifier connected to it as well as make the high pitch whine.

Make sure the headunit is grounded decently as the RCA's will use that as a ground reference.

Knowing that my problem was caused by the amp, If I had this problem again I would be disonnecting the amp/s and go for a drive to test and make sure the problem is not one of them.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the ideas guys, just sucks that i still have this problem and still only with the radio when the car is running. The other weekend my dad and i ****ed around for ages removing the antenna and replacing it along with the aerial cable to the back of the head unit. This hasn't changed anything so now i guess next in line would have to be the HU which i do want a new one of, but if i do end up getting a new one and it has the same problem then what do i do?

Like i said i still am not sure if it is Alternator Noise because its just weird but now i know its not the Antenna/Aerial. Obviously it is not the Speakers/Sub since they are fine with radio when the car is off but doesn't that mean that the amp should be fine as well? But then if thats the case then the HU should be fine which then means im back to square one :cry: The problem here is if it is the amp how would i go about doing anything about it because its under warranty still but im gonna have a hard time proving if anything was wrong with it if indeed its causing this problem.

Hmmm, just a thought i believe that the amp's remote turn on is a small dark grey wire, just curious if this being connected to one of the HU's wires could be causing something?

If not, any more ideas please.

Thanks
Matt.