Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] on off charger.

orthaeeoul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exucutive S2 3.8 2004
g'day. iv done a search, but to no avail, so please dont flame me.
iv been talking to a mate of mine and he seams to think u can put some kind of "switch" on a supercharger somehow? is this possible? is this viable? and if the first 2 r good, can it be done to a eaton m90 on an ecotec?

cheers
Mike

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
There was a thread on this a while ago. Try searching

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you had already searched. As Bz Kn33z said, you need a clutch pully like on a SC-14. Won't work on the m90

Last edited:

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I am not sure if you can have a clutch pully on a M90, but the SC-14 comes out with a Clutch pully its a sidemount and puts out around 3psi, and can be used on an on off switch or micro switch like i have off the throttle body.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The M90 has a switch kind of thing. It's called a bypass valve that is like a little throttle body butterfly before the chargers rotors. The charger does constantly maintain spinning at the same ratio to the crank at all times but due to this bypass is not constantly producing boost.

The whole system runs of a vacuum/ boost referenced actuator solenoid.

orthaeeoul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exucutive S2 3.8 2004
so ur saying that the rotor's inside the charger are ALWAYS maintaining pace with the crank, but the air isnt nesccaryly being "pumped" due to a bypass valve? what bout an idler pully? or does that do something differant?

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
on a sidemount sc14, it spins freely when its turned off and when turned on it engages and its got a magnate and then turns the charger. but he is saying that the shaft is still spinning but no boost is being pumped into it because of a bypass valve that works off vaccum aswell.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
so ur saying that the rotor's inside the charger are ALWAYS maintaining pace with the crank, but the air isnt nesccaryly being "pumped" due to a bypass valve? what bout an idler pully? or does that do something differant?

That's right. No clutches or anything like that just a bypass valve to make it more naturally aspirated off boost.

The idler pulley is purely to do with belt routing and is a fixed unit.

The M90 is quite basice with as few moving parts as possible. Rotors and bearings, drive snout and gears, housing and bypass valve/ actuator. That's all.

orthaeeoul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exucutive S2 3.8 2004
now i get ya... cheers chargedvx6.
do thou's "silencing holes" play into this at all?