Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

One for the techies...SRS

MikeyDon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY wagon
So, the airbag light has come on in my VY wagon. Changed the clockspring, have tried 3 abs modules... had it scanned and there are no error codes in the system. They guy who scanned it said he couldn't communicate with the dash cluster or the transmission...any thoughts?

MikeyDon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY wagon
Did you mean SRS modules? Were they the same part number as you existing module? What type of scan tool did he use?

Ha, yes I meant the SRS module....I've just been working on the abs module on my Honda too.
I'm not sure exactly on the make and model of the scan tool, I went to an auto electrician, it was a pretty decent tool that could identify all the circuits and the resistance in each circuit etc. They also contacted the local dealership that used to be Holden and talked to one of their top techs who wasnt able to shed much light on the situation either.

MikeyDon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY wagon
If the light is on, there will be a code.
Hmm apparently not. It kept saying there are no errors.
Do errors sit the body module? Just seems weird that the scan tool couldn't communicate with the dash or the transmission either. Wondering if there's an error in the body module.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You’ll need a proper scan tool to communicate with cluster and srs system. If you have an aldl cable you can purchase body diagnostics, although it is a subscription.

MikeyDon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY wagon
You’ll need a proper scan tool to communicate with cluster and srs system. If you have an aldl cable you can purchase body diagnostics, although it is a subscription.

So you're saying that the scan tool that he used where he could see all of the SRS system on, see all the resistance in the various parts of the circuit, isn't the right scan tool?

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Might be a seat problem when i had my VT berlina i had an annoying issue where the srs light would come on no codes. never found what the issue was something to do with the seatbelt tensioner system or the side airbags never did figure out which but the light would come on, go get it reset be fine for a few starts then back on again i got sick of it and sold the car.

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
So you're saying that the scan tool that he used where he could see all of the SRS system on, see all the resistance in the various parts of the circuit, isn't the right scan tool?
yes that is what we are saying. There will be a code if the SRS light is on and it needs to be cleared manually as the light will stay on even if the issue has been corrected.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Not quite correct, if the SRS module itself is faulty then there may not be a code. Had a similar problem (light on but no code in Tech2) with my VX GTS. Replaced the SRS module (with one having the same part number) and problem solved. Which is why I asked the OP in post #2 whether he had replaced the module with one having the same part number (and he hasn't answered that particularly question yet).

Reactions: Lex