Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

One option for rebuilding a 202

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
Grunt Hunt – Rebuilding a 202 SM style.

In 2000 SM mag did a three part series on hotting up a blue 202 that was first rebuilt to factory specs and tolerences using a good old standard Varijet carb.
Once they got it back they did the following to spice up the old girl, step by step on an engine dyno.

1 – Air flow
Removed standard air filter and housing – gained 14kw just like that. Suggest a K+N or high flow air filter with new housing / lid.

2 – Fan
Removed standard crank driven fan blade – gained 4kw. Thermo fan installation suggested.

3 – Internal mods.
Swapped cam for a Crow 35667 cam (still available) and added new Crow valve springs, retainers and collets to the standard blue head.
New lifters and a Crow set of helical cut adjustable timing gears were added also.

Power now at 120kw @ 4800rpm with a peak torque of 259nm up from the factory standard of 83kw and 238nm torque.

4 – Carb and extractors
They were of the opinion that the Varijet was at its peak about now so they replaced it with a 350 Holley and added Pacemaker extractors. Power now 122kw @ 4900rpm with 265nm of torque @ 3400 rpm using simple bolt on stuff.

5 – Yella Terra head and upgraded Scorcher ignition.
Replaced the standard head with one from Yella Terra, complete with valves, springs etc. and beefed up the ignition system with one from Scorcher set at around 28 deg.
Power now 140kw @ 5200rpm with 282nm torque at 3800rpm.

6 – Fuel Injection
VK EFI fuel injection added run with a Haltec fuel only F9 ecu.

ScanImage003a.jpg

Total power = 166bhp at the wheels.

I plan to replicate this rebuild using a VK black 202 with EFI as a start point and eventually add a CRS supercharger kit (that can be turned off or on when needed) for my VK.

Cheers
AndrewOfNZ

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
Mate thats really cool. Shows that they are versatile old motors.
Kain

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Sounds sweet mate. You could probably do that pretty cheap too. Good luck with that.

B

big_c_43

Approximately how much do u reckon each of those steps would cost?

Coz i have a 1985 VK Black 202 3.3L EFI and i would like to do u some of those things too depending on the cash

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
lol. they upgraded the carb to a 350 holly, then put on vk injectors? that makes sense, wasted money on the holly then.

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
ah ok i see. sorry, it just seemed silly to upgrade the carb then put injectors on. I take it that the injectors went better than the carb, but it dosent say. like, the differnce between the carb and injectors in KW. thats what id like to see. The carb upgrade only added 2 KW and slightly more tourque, what did the injectors add to the base KW b4 the carb upgrade? it was 120KW with stock carb... so adding injectors, id estimate around 10KW more with injectors?

If i've done the maths right, 166hp is 123rwkw. so that would then mean the injectors added 3KW. something here still isnt right considering that it was supposed to be 140kw after the yella terra and ignition step... could this 140kw be at the fly? because 166hp after all those steps dosnt add up.

Ultimatly 166hp, is 123rwkw. I must have mist something.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
how much and where could you but the air filter and housing???

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Series 2
If i've done the maths right, 166hp is 123rwkw. so that would then mean the injectors added 3KW. something here still isnt right considering that it was supposed to be 140kw after the yella terra and ignition step... could this 140kw be at the fly? because 166hp after all those steps dosnt add up.

Ultimatly 166hp, is 123rwkw. I must have mist something.

You math is right. I checked it on the an online conversion page
http://www.onlineconversion.com/power.htm

And i agree, it appears that there is a loss of power from steps 5 to 6.
I think that the first 5 steps are done out of the car and measure at the fly wheel and the last is at the rear wheels

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
vk3800 said:
You math is right. I checked it on the an online conversion page
http://www.onlineconversion.com/power.htm

And i agree, it appears that there is a loss of power from steps 5 to 6.
I think that the first 5 steps are done out of the car and measure at the fly wheel and the last is at the rear wheels

The engine and gearbox was supposed to go into a commy for testing but that fell through and they ended up using the Torana.

I noted too that there was a sudden change from Kw to Hp and guess someone made a ****up and perhaps the series got the chop?

I have the whole article scanned but a bit apprehensive to post it for fear of breaching copywrite?

AndrewOfNZ