Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

One remote stopped working

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
VF Calais V sportswagon MY14
One of my 2 remotes has stopped working. New CR2032 batteries in both, showing over 3 volts.
To make sure I swapped batteries and the same remote was still dead
I'd appreciate any suggestions, including the cheapest way to replace the remote.

This keyless start is great until the remote stops working! - in some Holdens there is a place in the forward center console to place the remote and I think in some there's a place to insert the key but I haven't found anywhere on this car. I've had it from new.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
There is a slot in the centre console in which to place the remote if the remote's battery is low and the remote is not detected. The slot is next to the USB port (lift up the armrest to see it). Not sure if you can start the car like this if the remote is completely u/s.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the circuit may have burnt out.

the rfid chip should still work because it does not require power but the pkes circuit might have died.
putting the key into the console slot will only test the rfid chip.

the remote could have lost its programming too which basically means the remote works but the car is not accepting its code, it is probably best to take it to someone with the tools to program the remote to the vehicle and see if they can re-program that remote and if they cant it is dead and you will need a new one.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
...I'd appreciate any suggestions, including the cheapest way to replace the remote...

Unless you plan to only ever use it as a spare and prepared to rush out and get a new OE fob if your last remaining OE fob dies. Do not get a cheap fob. Both, owned too many cheap fobs and done too many warranties on broken cheap fobs. They are not worth it, especially when the VF needs to sync x2 keys if you loose all key / all stop working.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
the circuit may have burnt out.

the rfid chip should still work because it does not require power but the pkes circuit might have died.
putting the key into the console slot will only test the rfid chip.

the remote could have lost its programming too which basically means the remote works but the car is not accepting its code, it is probably best to take it to someone with the tools to program the remote to the vehicle and see if they can re-program that remote and if they cant it is dead and you will need a new one.
Agree. I had the same problem a while ago and fortunately the dealer reprogrammed the remote. (When they were Holden).
I then had 3 keys for the same car, since when I bought it they initially lost the spare key so made another one for me. Then they later sent me a key from another car with a similar plate number - doh!
In my case it was a warranty claim so I have no idea what the cost of programming was.