Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Only one raditor fan working

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Thanks jetboy,

Relays working fine.

I checked with Holden themselves who said second fan will not come on till a certain temperature is reached. That goes for ac as well. second one comes on after a certain temperature when AC is switched on. Your. Views guys

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
First fan comes on when the car gets to operating temperature OR you turn the air con on. Second fan only comes on if the first fan isn't keeping the temperature at a steady, safe level.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
2 fans

one fans cools the rad when it gets to 104 degrees and stops at 99 degrees

the second one switches on when the aircon gets switched on to cool the condenser

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Hmmmm I think i need to check couple vt's myself. And some mechanics. Only one fan switches on in my ride when AC is switched on or when the car reaches the operating temperature.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
ENGINE COOLING FAN LOW SPEED
The engine cooling fan low speed relay is energised by the BCM. The PCM determines when to enable the low speed fan based on inputs from the BCM serial data, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). The cooling fan low speed relay will be turned "ON'' when:
. The A/C request indicated (YES) and either the vehicle speed is less than 30 km/h
- OR -
. A/C pressure is greater than 1500 kPa
- OR -
. The coolant temperature is greater than 104 degrees C.

If the coolant temperature is greater than 117 degrees C when the ignition is switched off, the relay is energised for up to approximately 4 minutes.
If an engine coolant temperature sensor fault is detected, such as DTC 14, 15, 16, 17 or 91.

The cooling fan low speed relay will be turned "OFF'' when any of the following conditions have been met:
. The A/C request is not indicated (NO)
. The A/C request is indicated (YES) and the vehicle speed is greater than 50 km/h and A/C pressure is less than 1170 kPa.

ENGINE COOLING FAN HIGH SPEED
The engine cooling fan high speed relay is controlled by the PCM based on input from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. The PCM will only turn "ON'' the engine cooling fan high speed relay fan if the engine cooling fan low speed relay has been "ON" for 2 seconds and the following conditions are satisfied:
. There is a BCM message response fault which will cause a DTC 92
. An engine coolant temperature sensor fault is detected such as DTC 14,15,16,17.
. Coolant temperature greater than 104 degrees C.

The engine cooling fan high speed relay can also be enabled by the A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor. When the A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor determines the A/C system pressure is to high, greater than 2600 kPa, and this will instruct the PCM to enable the high speed fan.

If the low speed fan was "OFF" when the criteria was met to turn the high speed fan "ON", the high speed fan will come "ON" 5 seconds after the low speed fan is turned "ON". "

If both the engine cooling fan relays are "ON", the PCM will turn "OFF" the high speed relay when:
. The engine coolant temperature is less than 99 degrees C.
. A/C request not indicated (NO)
. A/C request indicated (YES) and A/C pressure is less than 2300 kPa.

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
looking at the above i think my VT is is fine.

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Guys, I like to thank you all for your comments and help. To be honest with you I did not hope many people will come to the help of fella commy lover but commies bring us togather. Thanks fellaz