Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Only one raditor fan working

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Dear All,

This is my first post in this forum which I think is fantastic. My question is I had a raditor change and then the mechanic tested the raditor fans, only one fan(located next to the air intake) works when AC is turned on or when the car is getting hot the fan comes up, second one is not turning on.

My question is when does the second fan turn on or is it turned on at a specified temperature or do both the fans turn on at the same time.

power is coming to the fan that we have tested. can some body advise if there is something wrong.

VT owner.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
try turning your air conditioning on when the one fan is working. the second fan should come on then. If it does not, then you may have a fault. According to GM, that is how they are supposed to work.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
the second fan works when your car is verry hot i tested thin on my car pulled the relay fot the first fan and wated till the car got to 3/4 on the temp gage and then the other fan kicked in

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
For my VX, the second fan always came on whenever i started the engine and the second fan comes on when the AC is turned on, i.e both fans running. Had the AC fan replaced few months back as it was a dead unit. Didnt realize that the two fans were different sizes...cars works fine now

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
With the A/C on both fans should operate at low speed then i f the temperature rises to 104 they both switch to high speed. This is according to the Gregory"s manual.
Edit: Just checked and both my fans come on with the A/C

Last edited:

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
thanks for the help fellazz, any suggestions what could be the problem or which part I need to change to fix this.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Test the relays, dont know where they are exactly in a VT but i think there on the drivers side somewhere in clearly marked box.

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Thanks dude, I have tracked down the relays,one is a high speed fan relay the other is low speed relay. Dumb question m8 can you please let me know how to check the relays.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Thanks dude, I have tracked down the relays,one is a high speed fan relay the other is low speed relay. Dumb question m8 can you please let me know how to check the relays.
there is a thread on here to check your relays i'll try find it