Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opening stock airbox VYSS

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
Anyone got some simple ideas on properly removing the lid for the stock airbox.

I had a dabble earlier, and got little further than removing the screws before being set back by the overlapping placement of the coolant tank and the radiator cover :S

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the radiator covers have scrommets on them so just sit a flathead under the grooves in the scrommets and pop them out...then lift off the cover so you can get to that niggly little screw

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
hrm i was thinking as much but then assumed that i would need replacements... which i dont have and CBF getting :p

this car thing is not for the lazy :ranting:

1 SLY VY

Can I ask why you are wanting to remove the airbox lid permanantly? For best results you should remove the airbox and drill a hole about 1 1/2" diameter beside the intake hole. This will free it up and allow it to brethe easily.

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
I dont wanna remove it completely, I just wanna open it to check out the state of the filter, and possibly replace with K&N

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
hrm

well i've managed to get teh rad cover off, but there are still a **** load of pipes in the way the prevent easy opening of the box, only way to get it properly open seems to be to dissasmble the entire thing, the hell with that :S

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
Huh?

Four or five clips around the edge of the airbox. Unclip done?

Am I missing something in what your trying to do?

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
4 Screws hold the lid on and a bit of fiddling gets them off done it heaps of times you can actually pull the overflow bottle out if you want they are push and pull item..

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
wtf

I must be insane or doing somethign horribly wrong. THere are 3 screws in the airbox lid. Once removed, then lid can be moved, however trying to lift it up puts strain on the cabling and pipes that run alongside it. I probably could disconnect several connectors and the tubing that runs into the coolant tank, but i dont really wanna start going that nuts. attached is a picture, the red marks are areas where the box is restrained by physical obstructions. :b:

Attachments

• airbox.jpg
    airbox.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 469

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
just push all the other stuff away far enough to lift the lid up, its not that hard...
Rob