Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinion: on tyres

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Ok

A mechanic took me car for drive ive been worried about a engine vibration/grind but he observed that yes although the engine has a grind its normal for its age and engine is generally healthly.

Instead he observed on a drive that a vibration is coming up through the seats and felt in cab is actually tyres or driveline or tailshaft...start there

So i took the 2 front off put rears on the front, car already much quieter. I have my 15 inch spare on rear and the worst tyre is now in boot. The 15 inch is now the noisier of all tyres....such as a rumble coming from the back

This tyre although tread left looks hammered like little flat spots and chunks.

I inflate my tyres to 38psi am i over doing it

I know i need alignment cos let go of the wheel and car starts heading sideways lol (kindof)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PM @vc commodore and see if he is close enough to drop into his workshop. He does front end repairs for a living. Gonna need two tyres but you want to be sure you're not gonna kill two new tyres in a few months. Some tyre places HuuHummm Jax fit tyres and wheel align even when TRE's are fucked and then you wonder why things don't feel right??? I know as it happened to me.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hope he checked your front hub bearing, 2 tyres on one hub go bad, wont be long before number 3 victim. Most cars pull to the curve that's how they crown the road so water runs off.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
A question on the side...how can u tell if your tyres are absolutely correct for the rims

Ive got 235/45/17s on vx ss rims

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ok

A mechanic took me car for drive

Instead he observed on a drive that a vibration is coming up through the seats and felt in cab is actually tyres or driveline or tailshaft...start there

Vibration through the seats is just about always caused by driveline, which could be as simple as incorrect or shot engine mounts/gearbox mounts.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A question on the side...how can u tell if your tyres are absolutely correct for the rims

Sounds right to me. Vibration in the floor could be a number of things, tail shaft center bearing, Uni-joints, transmission saddle mount, engine mounts.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

HOLDEN VX SS 17 INCH GENUINE ALLOY WHEELS
WHEELS ARE 17X8 WITH 48+ OFFSET WITH 5/120 STUD PATTERN
8,0 Inches 215 mm min width / 225 or 235mm Ideal tyre width, 245 mm Maximum tyre width.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hope he checked your front hub bearing, 2 tyres on one hub go bad, wont be long before number 3 victim. Most cars pull to the curve that's how they crown the road so water runs off.

Again, you have no idea. You can get a car driving straight on most roads, by adjustments within the suspension...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Lol, by means spin the wheel and listen for clinking but it wont move as much due to the brakes on rotors stopping it from wobbling, to find out properly is by removing the calliper. Like I said tyre size is the same in diameter and being 30mm smaller would do bugger all the camber in the road will do more pulling to one side than the tyre. In all it wouldn't destroy a tyre in this short time, suspension wont destroy a tyre maybe a tie rod end over a 1000km might start showing wear / feathering.

You don't need to check for movement, when checking for failing wheel bearings....A grumbling sound, through the centre of the wheel, with it off the ground, is enough to tell it is failing. You can be partially deaf (which I am) and still hear it.... A clicking sound won't be a wheel bearing

30MM difference in width between axles makes a huge difference in how a car handles....It will make a car pull more than any cambered road ever will....Why do you think car manufacturers place stickers on spare rims, which are smaller than the ones fitted to the car?