Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinion: on tyres

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Got 17 inch rims

1 tyre on front went bad, made the car vibrate at 20km and 40km etc

Took it off put spare on 15inch new...this one is noisy now too lol, rumbles doesnt vibrate tho

Anyways i still got 3 good tyres on the other 3 mags

Firstly should i just give up on vibrating tyre? Ditch it? Maybe its just unbalanced

Secondly im think from here i buy 2 new tyres, put them on the front, then have my next 2 best ones on the back, and then once the back get crap get another 2 more new ones, in say 6 months, then put todays new ones on the back and in 6 months new ones on the front haha

Hope makes sense, i also gotta get a wheel alignment too

This sound like the smart way to do it? I just want quiet driving tyres

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes,

Rid the whole car for vibrating and get a set of tyres,
Keep the best for the spare !

Bridgestone T001 to suit the rim suited to that car,
Wheel alignment, jobs done.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Just checking, you have 17" wheels and tyres on 3 places and a 15" on the fourth position?

Get the guy doing the wheel alignment to check all your bushes and setting in case there's something worn that caused the original wear problem.

And only ever mix tyre sizes for emergencies, not for day to day running.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, the tyre that went bad.....What do you mean went bad.....Has it got uneven wear on it, which has caused the vibration? Has the tyre got another issue which is causing the vibration ie out of round, aged?

If it's not worn on an edge, getting an alignment would be pointless.....Replacing the tyre might be the best option, depending on the cause of the unbalance

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just checking, you have 17" wheels and tyres on 3 places and a 15" on the fourth position?

Get the guy doing the wheel alignment to check all your bushes and setting in case there's something worn that caused the original wear problem.

And only ever mix tyre sizes for emergencies, not for day to day running.
Wheel diameter stays the same no matter what rim size, getting back , What brand tyres were they cheap and nasty? Was the tyre inflated correctly? Too much air causes damage in the center and under flattered tyres wear out the sides.
If its doing it twice on 2 tyres can only mean you have worn wheel bearing, jack your car up remove the wheel and brake caliper and see if the bearing is rooted.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wheel diameter stays the same no matter what rim size, getting back , What brand tyres were they cheap and nasty? Was the tyre inflated correctly? Too much air causes damage in the center and under flattered tyres wear out the sides.
If its doing it twice on 2 tyres can only mean you have worn wheel bearing, jack your car up remove the wheel and brake caliper and see if the bearing is rooted.

You have no idea what you're talking about...You are putting a 235 MM tyre on one side and a 205MM tyre on the other side....Creates a problem, where the car will pull towards the smaller width tyre. The overall rolling radius will be the same ie, the height between the 2.

So what Voodoo_SV6 has written is correct

Wear on the same corner with 2 different tyres can be caused by incorrect alignment settings or worn suspension components.....The same applies if it's across the left and right sides of the car....Worn wheel bearings can cause high and low spots across the face of the tyre..

And to check a wheel bearing, all the needs to be done is jack the car up and spin the wheel, listening for a grumbling noise at the centre of the wheel...Unbolting stuff to check is extra work, that's not necessary

Tyre brand has diddly squat to do with it.....I have seen cheap and nasty tyres have balance issues...I have also seen name brands do the same...ie Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, just to name a few.

What we need to know is, how is the tyre bad, to made a decision what direction to head

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You have no idea what you're talking about...You are putting a 235 MM tyre on one side and a 205MM tyre on the other side....Creates a problem, where the car will pull towards the smaller width tyre. The overall rolling radius will be the same ie, the height between the 2.

So what Voodoo_SV6 has written is correct

Wear on the same corner with 2 different tyres can be caused by incorrect alignment settings or worn suspension components.....The same applies if it's across the left and right sides of the car....Worn wheel bearings can cause high and low spots across the face of the tyre..

And to check a wheel bearing, all the needs to be done is jack the car up and spin the wheel, listening for a grumbling noise at the centre of the wheel...Unbolting stuff to check is extra work, that's not necessary

Tyre brand has diddly squat to do with it.....I have seen cheap and nasty tyres have balance issues...I have also seen name brands do the same...ie Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, just to name a few.

What we need to know is, how is the tyre bad, to made a decision what direction to head
Lol, by means spin the wheel and listen for clinking but it wont move as much due to the brakes on rotors stopping it from wobbling, to find out properly is by removing the calliper. Like I said tyre size is the same in diameter and being 30mm smaller would do bugger all the camber in the road will do more pulling to one side than the tyre. In all it wouldn't destroy a tyre in this short time, suspension wont destroy a tyre maybe a tie rod end over a 1000km might start showing wear / feathering.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
tyre-wear-patterns.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
On a normal passenger car tyre, you shouldn't notice any vibration under 80kmph or so, even unbalanced. In my experience, you only really start to notice issues when unbalanced and travelling at speeds in excess of 100kmph. Modern wheels are well balanced, and so are the tyres generally. Speeds of 110-115 is where I notice slight vibration on unbalanced wheels. I haven't had a set of wheels balanced in years on my daily - I fit my own tyres. The only time I've experienced problems with vibration at 60kmph was when I had a pair of wheels that both had an 8mm buckle - balancing helped but still vibrated at speeds over 100 which wasn't a huge issue.