Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions/Advice Wanted

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
So I've cobbled together the beginnings of what hopefully will be the system for my VE S2 SV6. The budget is between 1.5-2K and the main requirement of the build is that the car looks as stock as possible! The only exposed part of the system is going to be the amp and the preprocessor, but they'll be hidden in the boot. I'm going for a single 5 channel block to facilitate that look. I went for the LC7i as it has the more advanced processing. I originally hoped to put preamp RCAs on the head units but I figure if I put that money towards a decent preprocessor the end result will be similar. The subs will hopefully be mounted on the parcel shelf in the factory mounts which I hope to pick up from a wreckers. The two subs will be wired in parallel (2 Ohm) but i do have the option of the DVC model which i can run in a parallel/series configuration (4 Ohm)

Looking for advice and opinions on the following components. Has anyone used any of the following? Any pros or cons for the following

Front Components: Polk - db6501 - 1
Rear Door: Polk - db651 - 1
Sub Woofer: Polk - MM840 - 2
Amplifier: Alpine - PDX-V9 - 1
PreProcessor: AudioControl - LC7i - 1
Harness: Scosche - VW03RB - 1
Power Wiring: Aerpro - MX004 - 1
RCA Wiring: Kicker - ZI21 - 3
Input Signal Wiring: Shielded 8 Core Twisted Pair 1
DynaMat to seal any and all holes/gaps/rattles etc.

Thanks Guys

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Really digging your setup. Couple of things pop to my mind. I'm sure others will agree/disagree/stare blankly

Don't expect the MM8s to drop directly onto the speaker mount.... close but no cigar. Definetly your best mounting option though.

The front splits will handle the Alpine but thats where it ends. It's a bit big for the rears so your going to have your gain turn down. The subs I know are rated 250wrms each so a pair will match up nicely with the 500w output of the Alpine. But, that power handling is based upon the speakers being within a recommended enclosure. Putting them on a parcel shelf is going to be pretty damn close to what we call an infinite baffle. This greatly reduces their power handling.

My personal choice would be to invest in the Alpine MRX-V70... perhaps the money you save could be spent on MM door speakers?

As for Dynamat... well, Dynamat everything in sight! Mind you, I've had good success recently with FatMat. Half the price, similar results.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad you like the setup, I know how much experience you have, your advice is golden!

Thanks for the advice on the amp! I will make the change on my list.

I've looked at the MM door speakers, they seem to be a bit harder to source. But I think I'll be happy with the db series.

Do you have any recommendations for IB 8" drop ins?

Lastly, I'll swap out the Dynamat for FatMat, otherwise I'll spend as much as the system on dynamat :p

Thanks for your advice! :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Nope, no other recommendations. But don't just swap stuff out based on my thoughts. Have a listen to what others thinks. Try joining a car Audio forum and get their opinion also.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Considering that the LC7i has an input impedance of 20kOhms, is it safe to use something along the lines of a shielded twisted pair Ethernet cable for as a signal wire from the head unit? I doubt that there will be anything more than a few milliamps with such a high input impedance, but I may be wrong?

Also, what's the verdict on earthing directly to the battery?