Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions needed on header and OTR choices.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have found the difference in underbonnet temps to be significant.

Pretty sure my comment about coatings IRT fluid and thermal dynamics insinuates the "inside" part of the exhaust.

Anyways, from my experience, a small outlay on thermal protection from coating or wrapping has a large positive effect in both performance and reliability.

Over the last 20 odd years I've had every manifold/turbo and dump either coated or wrapped, or both, I've also used heat sleeves when needed.

When I'm building I always try and use best engineering principles and will always be happy to pay a little more for it.

In my opinion not using thermal protection is only doing half a job.

There is plenty of science backed evidence that supports my claims, and plenty of DNF's and early failures from people melting stuff.

In the end if you want best engineering principles you pay for it.

$500-800 isn't alot of money in the big picture, and if you want to do it on the cheap, just paint them with VHT paint and use a good wrap.

As per usual, opinions may vary, just like underbonnet temps and budgets.

Everything you say is valid, my point is whether it's economically viable given the OP's requirements. You were convincing until the red bit. Wrapping is the best way to destroy exhaust pipe/headers. It retains moisture and as the component heats up, it will absorb that moisture making it brittle when it cools. Will shorten the life significantly. (While it does work, it is detrimental long term)

I'm not having a pissing contest with you.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Na mate, no pissing contests.

The key is prep, I've had MS wrapped headers and dumps for years without it rusting away from the outside, a good coating of VHT paint is the key, I've also never once used that wrap sealing spray either.

In the end the majority of MS exhaust failures are from the inside out, the moisture formed in the combustion process is the culprit.

Cracking headers is typically from poor (read: cheaper) materials, poor welding, lack of support and violent heat cycling, 314 on the other hand doesn't fail like the others through the hardening of heat cycling.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
314 exhaust though? Expensive exhaust.

I haven't seen any wrapped exhaust last longer than about 18 months. I've wrapped it for racing but I don't expect it to last and header lengths always change. I made an insulated dump once, basically the same dump in 4" and 4 1/2", the 4 1/2" dump was split and tabs welds to it so the 2 halves bolted together. A layer of insulation between them, kept the 4" dump nice and hot.

I'm all for performance increase, but I feel ceramic coating is just for looks on a street car. Someone in marketing somewhere did their job well.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Marketing always wins on the interwebs

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
I went with mild steel extractors as I had heard of the cracking issues stainless headers can have. Have liked Genie for years and I actually had a chambered X pipe fitted to my cat back after reading a post of yours @Not_An_Abba_Fan.
Have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments and learning from you both NAAF and @Ginger Beer.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
if only you knew who you are arguing with, i find it entertaining though - keep digging.
Why should I care who I'm "having a discussion" with, apart from knowing the guy sells exhausts, Manta?????, and has stated he has run track cars I believe from his replies, my points are from my experience with street cars and track cars.

His points are from his experience.
He might do things different to me, I may learn something new, I may choose my own way from my own experiences.

Not discussing a point because of the "do you know who he is" is like just accepting something is true, without fact checking or testing yourself, everyone on the interwebs is an expert.

You seem to know all of the testing and experiences I've done to form a view....

If, on the other hand, you have done some testing and have had some experience in this subject, please feel free to share, maybe I will learn or try something you suggest in the future.

At the end of the day, if I have learnt something new, or tried something different, it's a win.

Enjoy