Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions on loudness of exhuast notes

cracker

Reaction score
think youll find the cheaper exhausts sound fine, as long as you do something with the cats.
every poor sounding ls1 iv ever heard has standard cats, once they are removed or replaced with highflow ones they sound 10 times better

decent set of headers, even if it be hsv ones, do the cats and a catback with two center mufflers and a resie should sound fine

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
Haha yeah I can understand the buuuhhhhhh noise!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
My old boy has my old Xforce system, with highflow cats and some VY GTS extractors. Still sounds seven different shades of ****.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Cheers guys for all the feedback...
And I have heard the same as stated bellow:
I have heard on here when I put pacies and high flow cats it will stop droning?

It was going to be my next step.. But okay, has anyone got objections to a bolt on Pacey catback? (I might push it into my budget)

Thanks guys..
DrZ

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Cheers guys for all the feedback...
And I have heard the same as stated bellow:

It was going to be my next step.. But okay, has anyone got objections to a bolt on Pacey catback? (I might push it into my budget)

Thanks guys..
DrZ

I've got a pacie cat back. Sounds awesome and doesn't drone. Its loud when you get up it, but near silent when cruising. Basically the complete opposite to the xforce.

cracker

Reaction score
My old boy has my old Xforce system, with highflow cats and some VY GTS extractors. Still sounds seven different shades of ****.

really? interesting
a mate of mines got my old sv300 hsv headers, twin highflow cats and a redback system with no resie...sounds horrible, the dronning at cruise is simular to a v6 with no resie... terrible
might be something to be said for hsv headers?

i no everyone will disagree with me and say its stupid, 4-1 headers, straight pipes and twin 2.5" redback exhaust, i love it, cruising sounds like standard, 100km no annoying noise, no drone at all not even a hint.

before i put my redback system on i had a stainless hsv system on it, the difference alone between the redback and hsv system in noise, was not a great deal, how ever once the headers were put on and the cats removed, it became very loud, louder then i first set out for it too be

it sound how ever sound slightly raspy compared too say the holden v8 however

only better/comparable internally standard ls1 iv heard has difilopo( how ever its spelt) headers, no cats and difilopo twin 3" with no resie, very deep and very angrey but it drones quite alot

cracker

Reaction score
didnt no pacemarker make exhausts?

mate has a xforce on his gts with, cats and gts headers sounds nice? not too loud, just allright, could be better but iv heard alot worse

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
i think by the time u buy an x force catback and hack it up with a new x merge and mufflers u may aswell have just bought something better sounding like a mild steel pacemaker or di filippo. just my 2c

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
I spose pacey catback might be the way, or just go the xforce for cheap an bolt it on myself, then see what I wanna do from there. As for no cats in my zorst, I think I will keep them in, as much as I would preffer to just invert my headers an run 8 pipes out of my bonnet / sides. My victory would be short lived and I would be pulled over for not having them, and the last car I heard without cats running round (granted it was a magna) sounded closer to a whipper snipper.. lol

But yeah, maybe I will go the paceys.. I am after a nice rumble at idle, and obviously the harmonic V8 sound when u plant that right foot, as for drone, Mmm..... I suppose we will c.. Most my driving is never over 80kmph atm. So I prob wont notice it till i go freeway..

Is there a way to insulate above the exhaust / muffler to stop as much in cable drone...? Or is that just sound resonating around?