Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions on loudness of exhuast notes

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Hey Guys,
I am about to get myself a new catback exhuast for my VXII Clubby R8, I am tied between two types.
Both will be a twin 2 1/2 inch stainless steel catback exhuast from X-force. (exiting only on one side)

My dilema however lies with the last mufflers, I am thinking the twin hotdog styled muffler which according to the 'House of Power' (guys I wanna buy from) its a 'little to loud'. They say its rated as a noise level as 'high'.

Or there is their muffler option which has a noise level of medium.

Unfortunately they don't have any cars fitted with the hotdog so I cannot go an listen to it.
And am yet to listen to the 'medium' one either.

But just looking for opinions. Anyone got one? Like it? Hate it?

(Also this will be my everyday car)

Cheers for any feed back guys.

DrZ

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Pics related.

Hotdogged:
p70_02.jpg

Medium:
p70_04.jpg

Cheers guys.
DrZ

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Even with that big ressy in the tail pipe they are quite loud... so the hotdogs would roar.

A mate of mine has twin 2.5 xforce on her VYSS cammed, stalled etc. With the system that has the big ressy it is reasonably loud just idling!

Twin 3 inch would be louder again

Id look into a bigger twin in twin out glass pack ressy. i know these can be bought. With still have a note, but not offensively loud

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I have the twin 3inch with rear resi and it was still 106db at 3000rpm. I ended up replacing the rear resi with a much larger unit and it is so much quieter now, and sounds alot beter.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Just use a decent brand.

Xforce has to be the lowest common denominator when talking premanufactured exhaust systems. Honestly unless you want to bolt it up yourself. Go pay some hard working joe to make you a custom exhaust with some DECENT mufflers. A couple of very good quality mufflers off ebay will set you back about $500 a pair. It will sound great and wont be incredibly loud.

$500 seem expensive?
Imagine what Xforce have to do in order to make a whole exhaust system for less then that...

Also, the "Xpipe" in the Xforce systems are a massive restriction and cause the car to loose low end torque and top end power. They also make it sound revolting.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
I've got the twin 2.5" big rear can setup on my VX. It's pretty loud. Too loud for my liking, I'm considering my options.
Before that I had the same setup but with the rear hotdogs. It was just crazy as far as I'm concerned. I fitted it on a weekend and by Thursday I had the rear hotdogs replaced with the full resonator.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
I have a twin 3" cat back on my clubby, xforce. Drones like a bitch but I have heard on here when I put pacies and high flow cats it will stop droning. How does the sound differ when removing the x pipe soop?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Makes it sound like a real V8.
Piss it off and you'll get a real growl from it. No just the buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they have normally.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
if your sticking with x force id definately go with the quiter option. mainly because they sound sh**. if your on a tight budget ive heard a few cars with redback systems that sound better than xforce so id look into that

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
One option with the Xforce system. Get rid of the X pipe and replace the mufflers. You can get magnaflow mufflers of ebay for a decent price. Cheap ish way to get a good exhaust system.