Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions wanted: re. my engine

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
greenfoam: my VP has lpg now
i'm worried about getting a new car because of what i've put into mine money-wise so far (lots of new bits).
i dont mind spending $5k on getting a V8 in there, if i can put an 8 in there for 5 i'll be happy

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
2nd hand v6 engine $50 from the wreckers mate

or fix the bearings?? **** its not that expensive, ACL do a kit for not much

if u want it back on the road i recomend just finding a mate with a engine jack , go to the wreckers and find a low km buick and bang that in, then rebuild the engine u rip out of ya car, but as its been said before the buicks dont make much power N/A but bang a charger/turbo on it and they make some nice power, no where near as much as a v8 but for the price its probbly more worth while,

for instance my mate got a VR with a rooted tranny/engine

his dad got a VS tranny and a VR s2 engine for $120 and put it in himself and what do u know its like a brand new car :p

What he said :thumbsup:

Go to a wrecker and get a good 2nd hand motor. Give it a good cleanup and whack a gaskit kit thru it while it is out of the car. Definatly the cheapest option plus you can keep the old motor for spare parts down the track. (have a hack at pullint it apart if you want some fun one afternoon)
Changing the motor isn't particularly difficult if you have some basic mechanical knowhow. Just have a digital camera handy to photograph where all the wires go etc etc as it makes life a ton easier when putting it back in.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
greenfoam: my VP has lpg now
i'm worried about getting a new car because of what i've put into mine money-wise so far (lots of new bits).
i dont mind spending $5k on getting a V8 in there, if i can put an 8 in there for 5 i'll be happy

Well if you dont mind swapping all the parts over you can buy a rough 5 liter car for 2.5k or so. Just try and find one with a good driveline (motor/manual LSD :) )

cracker

Reaction score
buy a smashed 5ie for less then that from the auctions even, should be able to pick up a nice(smashed) vn-vs easy for under $2500

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I was told a new change over is cheap

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
get a recon motor drop it in your vp and rebuild/do up your buggered engine

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i have a series 2 motor here in my shed. come and make me an offer on it. i am only 4 hours from melbourne. nothing wrong with it.. done 180,000 i only pulled it out to put my good motor in it..

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
8 or 6 dude?

VNPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
My00 Wrx 240kwatw
$50 buick engines?? where! The cheapest ive seen is around $200 and thats some shitbox