Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered my ZB on Friday night....

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by Paul Smedley, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB Calais V
    The below is from a post to an ex-Holden employees group on facebook last Saturday:
    "Putting on my flame proof suit..... I have a confession to make..... I drove a ZB today, and I liked it...

We (HVO) built a terrific car, and for the last 6 or 7 months of manufacturing, were the #1 plant in GM for Right First Time, however, the ZB is a big leap above the VF from a refinement and technology (AEB, lane keep assist, DAB, AWD, Android Auto/Apple Carplay, etc) point of view (as it should be given it's a new model).

Now I agree with many, that the Commodore name should have been retired with VF, and let the ZB be an Insignia (or whatever), however, I'm still seriously considering a ZB - just a matter of whether it's a Calais V or a VXR!

Ready to be flamed now!"

I ended up ordering a ZB Calais V on Friday night, to replace my VF Calais V V6. For me the extra technology makes the upgrade worthwhile. I should be collecting the car on Wednesday all going well!

2. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Good on you , hope you enjoy it , stuff the haters .

Paul Smedley likes this.
  3. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
  4. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    That's nice, but I think there is a bit of false info here. The VF had less gadgets than the VE if i'm not mistaken and I wholly believe that was purely because Holden/GM just couldn't be bothered because it was the last model. All those fancy gadgets listed above were available in the GM parts bins so the options where there for Holden.

5. SSVREDLINE2014

SSVREDLINE2014 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    VF has more gadgets then the VE?

Zehq and Paul Smedley like this.
  6. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB Calais V
    I've love some examples of gadgets that VE had that VF didn't? I do agree that some of the technology that's in ZB, could have been added into VF if the interest was there - things like AEB, lane keep assist and Android Auto/Apple Carplay were all available in other GM platforms around the MY16 timeframe and could have been included in VF2 if the desire had been there.

7. immortality

Members Ride:
    Gadgets is probably not the best term, but in terms of overall technology. Holden definitely lost interest in fitting the latest tech in the VF.

8. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    Congratulations

Paul Smedley likes this.
  9. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    quite right it has , but in NZ the market is different to Australia , to be brutally honest , New Zealanders don't think they are Americans , they are New Zealanders .

55ams likes this.
  10. immortality

Members Ride:
    Ouch....

11. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Don't really think that is correct...
    The only thing my VF doesn't have is fog lights, I'd rather have an LS3 than fog lights...

55ams, NewbC4KE and Paul Smedley like this.
  12. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    Yes , it's I am South African , and Saffa's say what they think ,
    lector.gif

13. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB Calais V
    I half agree with the second part of the above. My opinion is that at launch in May 2013, VF was pretty much packed with the best technology GM had to offer (eg self parking - where VF was like the 2nd car in GM to have this), however in the 3.5 years following this, pretty much nothing of note was added.

Pablito likes this.
  14. Pablito

Pablito Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    Congrats. Ignore the hate and enjoy it. I hope you took advantage of Holden's suffering and got a sweet deal and 7 years warranty.
    If I drove V6's I would probably be looking at a ZB Calais V myself (if I could get it for low 50's drive away)

commodore665 likes this.
  15. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley Member

Members Ride:
    MY18 ZB Calais V
    I still get employee pricing, and was able to negotiate a decent trade-in on the VF and some included accessories :) Only the 5 year warranty though, 7 year offer finished at the end of June AFAIK

Pablito likes this.
  16. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Having had a 2 VTs, a VX, a VY, a VZ, a VE and now 2 VFs, I can tell you that undoubtedly for me the biggest let down was the interior of the VE compared to even the VX - yet I loved (& still do) the styling of the VE.

The VF was miles ahead of the VE in every other tech eg we couldn’t even option a camera or sensors on a VE2 ute (that was when we bought in 2010)

The best part of the VF2 compared to even VF was that goodies such as SatNav, parking sensors, camera, cross traffic alert, HUD, blindspot etc had all become standard even on an SV6 (without the price going up) where a lot of this was extras on the VF unless you went CalaisV or Redline. I can remember marvelling at the tech in my Dad’s VF (Dec 2013) CalaisV and in less than 3yrs we had all this standard on an SV6 Black Edition except for the forward collision detection (which Dad turned off because it was so inaccurate with respect to roundabouts & roadworks etc)..oh and the DVD player he had in the dash.

I’ve always maintained ‘thumbs up’ to Holden for not letting the Commodore whither on the vine like Ford did to the Falcon. Some grumble about no seat cooling/warming etc that the SS export had but that’s neither here nor there for me.

Yes tech has, and will continue to move on and congrats to those who are going ZB...I would be seriously looking too if I currently owned a V6 sedan. However we chose to future proof ourselves so we couldn’t be tempted (some would say ‘snookered’ ourselves, but I’m a glass half full person) in getting an SV6 ute & an SS wagon...two derivatives that are irreplaceable for the coin we laid down.

commodore665, Pablito and Calaber like this.
  17. uz3r

uz3r Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    Good stuff mate. As a VF Calais V driver myself I’d love to hear more about your experience once you have spent some time driving around in the ZB

Paul Smedley likes this.
  18. uz3r

uz3r Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    That’s not correct. I’ve owned VE and VF Calais and the VF was decked out wayyy better than the VE. In fact, in 2014 the VF was a standout in terms of the gadgets for its price point.

Pablito likes this.
  19. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Did you try Kittle Holden of Port Adelaide? They were advertising a 10 year warranty to all ex-employees a month ago. Not sure if it finished or not

20. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
    My ute was in for a service today and the loaner was a ZB Commodore (bottom of the range 2Litre turbo LT) with 2,000 km on the clock. I now feel qualified to possess an opinion.

It was zippy and very quiet. The soft brakes gave me a bit of a scare but I have been spoiled with 4-pot brembos. Does not feel at all like a Commodore. Cabin is skinny (as am I) and the driving position with high centre storage felt like I was sitting in a narrow bathtub. Poor vision out the rounded rear hatch window and weird mirrors.

I'm only 5'9" but the molding at the top of the back seat pressed between my shoulder blades and the lower-neck-rest had to be raised to max height to transform it into a head-rest.

It may be a FWD thing but the brake calipers sitting at the front edge of the disks looked weird to me, especially as they were at different angles (like 9 o'clock on front and 8 o'clock on rear - viewing passenger side)

Altogether quite underwhelming although I imagine the top-of-the-range model would be more impressive but still would feel too small and narrow for a Commo. I am now firmly in the "they should have retired Commodore and named this something else" camp.